• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Freedom of Information request anyone?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Freedom of Information request anyone?

Backlash over council's 'Get a Grip' attendance campaign - BBC News

Yeah, Ok. I wonder how many Council staff have sick days. Or how many teachers for that matter.

You;ve got to be careful what you wish for.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

I seem to recall that on any given day 20% of the workforce in a public sector organisation is off work on one form of leave or another

that means for every 5 people you have to employ a 5th

Unions will always talk about funding cuts and austerity, but don't think I've heard any of them say, "do you know what maybe we could cut the benefits packages too"

Comment

Originally posted by filthy1980 View Post
      I seem to recall that on any given day 20% of the workforce in a public sector organisation is off work on one form of leave or another

The public sector includes anyone from fire fighters, nurses, doctors to admin workers at your local council.

Clearly those who deal face to face with the public who can get violent or actually have to physically help them are going to end up with more injuries that keep the off work.

In regards to children and bad colds - teachers get sick enough as it is. They would rather very sickly children aren't in school as they end up having to send them home.

Unions will always talk about funding cuts and austerity, but don't think I've heard any of them say, "do you know what maybe we could cut the benefits packages too"
      A job of a union is to get the best for its workers. Of course they aren't going to talk about cuts in "benefits packages". The only time a union would agree to such cuts in benefit packages or even redundancies is if can keep the vast majority of workers at a single firms employed.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Well the fee paying schools are quite happy to let children have a few weeks off with their parents in term time, why is this so bad for the plebs in state schools?

And if you move house the state are quite happy to mess around for months before a new school is allocated for children. Far bigger damage to childrens education happens here.

When I was young my dad took me out of school for holiday, with the headmasters full endorsement, in those days state heads had the power to say yes. Dont see the problem myself.

Primary decision making should be with the parents not the state.

Comment

Originally posted by CoolCat View Post
          Primary decision making should be with the parents not the state.
          Unfortunately the decision making abilities of some parents these days is questionable and that's being polite about it. An exception caused by the few has unfortunately ruined it for the many, as is the way with almost any flexible arrangement; there's always someone who will take the mick.

Comment

I see.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
              The public sector includes anyone from fire fighters, nurses, doctors to admin workers at your local council.

Clearly those who deal face to face with the public who can get violent or actually have to physically help them are going to end up with more injuries that keep the off work.

In regards to children and bad colds - teachers get sick enough as it is. They would rather very sickly children aren't in school as they end up having to send them home.

A job of a union is to get the best for its workers. Of course they aren't going to talk about cuts in "benefits packages". The only time a union would agree to such cuts in benefit packages or even redundancies is if can keep the vast majority of workers at a single firms employed.
              I'd buy your argument if you were talking exclusively about nurses or fire fighters etc

but the benefits apply across the board, I don't know the ratios but the "admin" staff in a public sector organisation generally outweigh the front line staff by a significant margin

of course a union will do the best for it's members, even if means reforming services and increasing efficiency

Comment

but the benefits apply across the board, I don't know the ratios but the "admin" staff in a public sector organisation generally outweigh the front line staff by a significant margin
                You need to be careful with definitions. Some admin staff are frontline (in the case of NHS, receptionists, ward clerks).

I doubt that non-frontline staff outwiegh frontline staff in the NHS, but I don't have any figures on that, so prepared to be corrected. Not sure what it's like for other public sector organisations.

Comment

Lots of sickies in PS. Lots of leave and flexi too. Client I'm at let them carry leave over and have 2.4 flexi days a month. Old guy in the team has got 60+ days off saved up.

They need a contractor to cover the permies sick/leave days..... Im the only one whos there on a regular basis.
                  Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                    Lots of sickies in PS. Lots of leave and flexi too. Client I'm at let them carry leave over and have 2.4 flexi days a month. Old guy in the team has got 60+ days off saved up.

They need a contractor to cover the permies sick/leave days..... Im the only one whos there on a regular basis...
                    ...except on signing on days.

Comment

Working...
                    X