PDA

View Full Version : Offshoring of Nuisance Calls

Big Blue Plymouth
22nd November 2017, 08:29
I seem to be getting loads of calls on my landline ostensibly from uk numbers but in reality overseas call centres.

They always start the conversation by asking if I've ever lived at such and such an address at which point I tell 'em FOAD.

I'm assuming they're debt collection agencies who have picked up on an unpaid bill from my student days or something (entirely possible).

When I had BT, I'm sure I subscribed to something to stop these types of calls. Don't think it was 100% effective though.

With Zen now & it seems you can block up to 10 numbers but these feckers are like wack a mole :mad:

Edit: Oh, and the other one I get is a voicemail telling me I'm under investigation by HMRC :laugh

barrydidit
22nd November 2017, 09:14
Edit: Oh, and the other one I get is a voicemail telling me I'm under investigation by HMRC :laugh

Lucky bastard. I got a brick through my window and a note scratched on the car telling me the same.

LondonManc
22nd November 2017, 10:15
TPS doesn't apply to the "My name is Peter, isn't it" crew.

Big Blue Plymouth
22nd November 2017, 10:27
TPS doesn't apply to the "My name is Peter, isn't it" crew.

Don't know if it's possible to bar international numbers? They come through on various UK codes but there must be some under the hood way of detecting that the origin is India?

LondonManc
22nd November 2017, 10:32
Don't know if it's possible to bar international numbers? They come through on various UK codes but there must be some under the hood way of detecting that the origin is India?

I'd imagine it's not in telecoms company interests to do so.... :(

Big Blue Plymouth
22nd November 2017, 10:56

Only a few close family and friends have my landline number. A better system would be one where all numbers are barred except the ones you specify.

Anyhow, if they're going to call me at 9pm on a Sunday night they'll have to be prepared to have their fecking heads torn off.

SueEllen
22nd November 2017, 11:17

Nope you can only bar out going calls to international numbers.

WTFH
22nd November 2017, 12:14
A better system would be one where all numbers are barred except the ones you specify.

You can get phones that do that.
BT BT8500 review - The best call-blocker phone yet | Expert Reviews (http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/bt/bt8500)

LondonManc
22nd November 2017, 12:26
You can get phones that do that.
BT BT8500 review - The best call-blocker phone yet | Expert Reviews (http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/bt/bt8500)

Fantastic! For a premium, you can buy a phone that can block the calls from the provider who won't.

WTFH
22nd November 2017, 12:33
Fantastic! For a premium, you can by a phone that can block the calls from the provider who won't.

£40 for a phone isn't too much of a premium, is it? (you can get them for less than that)

My dad has one of these (might be an older version) and the only trouble he had was that he needed to add all his friends/family numbers into the phone first, otherwise they got met with the message, which they didn't listen to (old person trait) so just hung up.

LondonManc
22nd November 2017, 12:35
£40 for a phone isn't too much of a premium, is it? (you can get them for less than that)

My dad has one of these (might be an older version) and the only trouble he had was that he needed to add all his friends/family numbers into the phone first, otherwise they got met with the message, which they didn't listen to (old person trait) so just hung up.

£40 per phone when I've already got phones. I'll stick to my whistle by the phone.

WTFH
22nd November 2017, 12:37
£40 per phone when I've already got phones. I'll stick to my whistle by the phone.

https://www.maplin.co.uk/p/bt-8500-advanced-call-blocker-dect-telephone-quad-a56qa

£45 for 4

I guess it's a lot for permies (or in a few minutes it might be a lot for contractors as well)

xoggoth
22nd November 2017, 12:38
Blocking international and unavailable numbers certainly cuts down the number of cold calls. An added bonus is I don't get any phone calls from my brother in US.

quackhandle
22nd November 2017, 12:46
I've been getting these. Used to get the odd one every few months or so but they've ramped up in the last week or two. I have a call blocker on my phone which I think does actually work.

I like the whistle by the phone suggestion. :wink

I usually stick it near the telly, they can listen to the endless Christmas adverts.

qh

Willapp
22nd November 2017, 13:40
My call blocker is the best: the only thing the phone line's connected to is my broadband router. I almost never get nuisance calls :laugh

My Galaxy S8 on the other hand has a nice feature where I can block (and optionally report) any incoming call so that number never bothers me again. I only answer calls where I know the number - anything else and if they're not prepared to leave a voicemail telling me why they want my time, I just ignore it, can't be that important.

Platypus
22nd November 2017, 14:27
A better system would be one where all numbers are barred except the ones you specify.

I think there are phones which do this

Big Blue Plymouth
22nd November 2017, 15:19
I think there are phones which do this

Yes, WTF pointed this out a few posts ago.

I'd never heard of 'em myself but will definitely be looking at getting one before I burst a blood vessel :mad