• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

European Commission kicking a country while it's down

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

European Commission kicking a country while it's down

Brexit: EU cancels Britain’s hosting of European capital of culture | The Independent

Didn't want to play your stupid game anyway, you nasty bullies.

Britain will not be allowed to host the European Capital of Culture as planned in 2023 after Brexit, despite the scheme being open to countries that aren’t in the EU, Brussels has said.

The UK had been scheduled to host the capital in 2023 with candidate cities including Leeds, Dundee, Nottingham, Milton Keynes, and Belfast/Derry having prepared bids at taxpayers’ expense.

However the European Commission, which administers the scheme, said in a letter to the British government reported by Politico Europe that UK access would be “discontinued” following the Brexit vote.

“After consulting relevant services of the Commission, I would like to inform you that following its withdrawal from the European Union, the participation of the United Kingdom in the United Capital of Culture Union action will not be possible,” the letter, from EU director-general for Education and Culture Martine Reicherts says.

The letter was sent to Sue Owens, the top civil servant at the Department for Culture, Media and Sport (DCMS).

A spokesperson for DCMS said the Government was "disappointed" that the Commission had only informed the UK of the cancellation after bids for the prize had been submitted. She added that the Government was in "urgent" talks with the Commission about the matter.

Cities designated capital of culture benefit from the title in that they can bid for European funding for arts and cultural projects. The programme has been credited with fostering urban regeneration and raising cities’ international profiles.

Theresa May’s decision to pursue a hard Brexit and leave the European Economic Area (EEA) and single market appears to be responsible for the cancellation of the UK’s hosting. Previous countries to host the capital outside the EU include Iceland and Norway, both of which are in the EEA.

The letter cites EU regulation 445/2014/EU that says that only members of the EEA and countries which are candidates to join the EU can participate.

Ok - and?

Seriously - Liverpool and Glasgow have been 'cities of culture'

ever been around liverpool or glasgow city centre at night

the only culture you will get is a kebab, a fight and a nasty rash.

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
      Ok - and?

Seriously - Liverpool and Glasgow have been 'cities of culture'

ever been around liverpool or glasgow city centre at night

the only culture you will get is a kebab, a fight and a nasty rash.
      And which of the depends if you run into NLyUK, her husband, or her husband's accountant.

This could end up being a new version of shag/marry/kill.....

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
        Brexit: EU cancels Britain’s hosting of European capital of culture | The Independent

Didn't want to play your stupid game anyway, you nasty bullies.
        Well, lets reduce the ransom payment by a couple of billion then and invest it into Leeds.

Liverpool is a vibrant city, jeweled city of the north.

Comment

The UK had been scheduled to host the capital in 2023 with candidate cities including Leeds, Dundee, Nottingham, Milton Keynes, and Belfast/Derry having prepared bids at taxpayers’ expense.
          Is it any wonder they kicked us out?
          His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
            Liverpool is a vibrant city, jeweled city of the north.
            You are kidding! My mother's family all come from Liverpool. And they are all very unhappy at the state of the place. To be fair, it was tough to replace the slave trade.

Baby bp likes going to Rampworx. We usually take Merseyrail to avoid driving through it. I once got stopped by the police at Aintree and asked if I had any dangerous weapons. When I said no they gave me some.

The North needs to get the HS2 money and build a rail service to connect Manchester/Liverpool/Leeds/Blackpool.

And when parliament building becomes uninhabitable(not long now) they need to rebuild parliament in the middle of those cities.

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
              With Eire determined to restart the war with NI Belfast and Derry are soon going to be no go areas.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                You are kidding! My mother's family all come from Liverpool. And they are all very unhappy at the state of the place. To be fair, it was tough to replace the slave trade.

Baby bp likes going to Rampworx. We usually take Merseyrail to avoid driving through it. I once got stopped by the police at Aintree and asked if I had any dangerous weapons. When I said no they gave me some.

The North needs to get the HS2 money and build a rail service to connect Manchester/Liverpool/Leeds/Blackpool.

And when parliament building becomes uninhabitable(not long now) they need to rebuild parliament in the middle of those cities.
                I grew up there and the city centre is excellent now. The docks to Liverpool 1 then onwards is great.

Not sure of the areas outside of there, I grew up in Bootle and it was rough, looks better when I drive through it quickly.

All in all, it's came on leaps and bounds. Though, it's too far for me to contract the day rates are pretty crap there for us lot.

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
                  I grew up there and the city centre is excellent now. The docks to Liverpool 1 then onwards is great.

Not sure of the areas outside of there, I grew up in Bootle and it was rough, looks better when I drive through it quickly.

All in all, it's came on leaps and bounds. Though, it's too far for me to contract the day rates are pretty crap there for us lot.
                  It is better than it was. Relative to the slave trade days it has a long way to go.

I looked up recently when the "Liver" in "Liverpool" is pronounced differently to that in "Liver Building". Seems to be same spelling of 2 different meaning words.....

Comment

The "Independent" makes me laff. I was an occasional buyer following its launch in '86. The paper's proud USP was that it was politically in the centre, and for a while it was. TV adverts ran with the slogan "The Independent. We are. Are you?", with a red effect on one side of the screen, and blue on the other. They also promised never to cover the Royal Family. Apart from being a bit aloof, it was a good paper.

It was later bought by a Russian oligarch and became one of the most left wing papers in the UK. These days it spends its time being more-PC-than-though, while publishing Royal Family click bait, all but lionizing Vladimir Putin, and being generally not very successful. Had it remained independent, and remained in the centre, it could have become Britain's leading broadsheet.

Comment

Working...
                    X