• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Glowing planes

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Glowing planes

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6158473.stm

One has to wonder. Two months ago, you couldnt take a coca cola or tube of lip gloss on an aeroplane.

FFS I had to bin my nail clippers.

Yet somebody strolls onto a plane with a radioactive substance and contaminates it?

Am I missing something?
    There are no evil thoughts except one: the refusal to think

Originally posted by sunnysan
    Yet somebody strolls onto a plane with a radioactive substance and contaminates it?
    It's alpha radiation - only goes an inch or so, gets stopped by pretty much any barrier - no practical way to screen everyone who gets on board.

In fact it now seems to me that KGB chaps were not even expecting it to be detected in the first place - I also think they underestimated value of CCTV in investigations.

Comment

If I wanted to blow up a plane or crash it into something in England why would I take my explosives through baggage in the UK?

Simply fly out to Spain (or all the other EU countries that don't do anything) make my explosives there, carry onto the plane no problem and blow it up over england.

All this fuss is designed to create fear
      The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss
        All this fuss is designed to create fear
        UK version of the patriot act anybody????

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss
          If I wanted to blow up a plane or crash it into something in England why would I take my explosives through baggage in the UK?
          I don't think airplane explosions work anymore - even 9/11 terrorists used them differently to achieve terror effect.

The issue with Polonium is that IF it is not KGB, but some people who obtained quantities of it on black market (Russian no doubt), then it seems easy to bring in it here and put it into water supply, something that won't be detected until it is too late: now that's scary thought!

Anyway so far I am pleased to see that Scotland Yard is doing much better than it was shown in stories about Mr Holmes...

Comment

This might have been posted before...

Polonium-210, the radioactive isotope fingered as the substance used to off exiled Russian KGB spy Alexander Litvinenko, is available to buy online for just $69 plus shipping and handling.

New Mexico firm United Nuclear Scientific Equipment & Supplies offers a sample of radioactive element on its website, as part of its aim of putting the "fun back into science".

http://www.theregister.com/2006/11/2...ilable_online/

Seems easy to get a hold of and maybe have some fun with it too.
            Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead
              Seems easy to get a hold of and maybe have some fun with it too.
              Everyone who posts that seems to miss important point - the quantity required to kill someone is many times higher than that on sale: someone calculated that it is at least 1000 times those boxes, and it is not a matter of price here - it's just any business of that kind would notice if they get 1000 box order all of a sudden.

And guess what? Your favourite 3 letter agency certainly checks who is buying that stuff, afterall they have access to all transactions anyway.

Comment

If they want to poison people simply get Asda to provide the in flight meal
                The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by AtW
                  Everyone who posts that seems to miss important point - the quantity required to kill someone is many times higher than that on sale:
                  I heard an 'expert' on the radio saying that the quantity required to kill someone would be easy to spot as it would be giving off a blue glow and generating lots of heat. In other words extremely difficult to administer.
                  Me, me, me...

Comment

Diplomatic bags are useful for getting stuff into & out of countries undetected
                    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Working...
                    X