• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Unite warns against private sector rollout of IR35 changes

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unite warns against private sector rollout of IR35 changes

Link

“In a bid to boost their flagging finances the government is intent on pushing tens of thousands of workers into the misery of being employed by umbrella companies and taxed like millionaires.

“Unite fully supports a crackdown on bogus self-employment which denies workers even the most basic employment rights, however that should not result in workers being forced onto umbrella company contracts, where they suffer financial misery due to being treated as both employer and employee for tax.

“The UK is crying out for substantial changes to the laws on employment status so that workers are either genuinely self-employed or are employees, with full employment rights.

“The government must avoid introducing poorly thought out piecemeal reforms which are set to make a bad situation worse.”
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Wow!!
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
      Wow!!
      That will be the first of many I suspect. All unions have a complete and utter dislike of umbrella companies and will want as a minimum agencies to provide at least 1 fee free method of payment.
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Next will be their test case to tie workers rights to taxation.

Im sure all those wonderful government agencies that blanketed everyone will be fine though

Comment

Excellent news
          The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Great news but for clarification, we still love you Lucy.
            The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
              Great news but for clarification, we still love you Lucy.
              As Lucy would state herself - umbrella companies serve a purpose for contractors who want a hassle free life. Lower paid agency workers are a different market
              merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

After the NHS insisted that all agencies workers used an umbrella company eight months ago, it is almost a relief that the NHS is now aggressively phasing out umbrella companies, and replacing them with Staff Flow.

Comment

My name?

Yes it's Gail Cartmail.

What? Gail Cartmail yes.

No it's not a joke, I am here to talk about seizing the means of production, this is very serious.

<click>

Comment

To say my mind is blown is an understatement. They hate umbrellas for a good reason low paid workers being pushed into them and let's not go into the dodgy ones.
                    A decent umbrella for a well paid individual that isn't using 'schemes' is a completely different animal.

Comment

Working...
                    X