• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Older parents

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Older parents

This news about Gordon Brown's son got me thinking. Are older parents more likely to have kids with defects?

There is a school of thought that our DNA is gradually damaged as we get older - I presume that applies to reproductive tissue as well.

Originally posted by wendigo100
    This news about Gordon Brown's son got me thinking. Are older parents more likely to have kids with defects?
    Statistically yes, particularly where the woman is concerned.
    “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by wendigo100

There is a school of thought that our DNA is gradually damaged as we get older - I presume that applies to reproductive tissue as well.
      Cystic fibrosis is an inherited disorder caused by having two faulty genes (ie recessive) so very, very, very unlikely that age had anything to do with it.

In general though you are right - non-inherited defects increase with age.
      +50 Xeno Geek Points
      Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
      As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

I belive once you are over 30 the chances of birth defects doubles, or something along those lines.

The depressing thing is that if this is ture, statistically speaking all the chavs are going to have the healthiest babies.....

Comment

Originally posted by Ardesco
          I belive once you are over 30 the chances of birth defects doubles, or something along those lines.

The depressing thing is that if this is ture, statistically speaking all the chavs are going to have the healthiest babies.....
          And that is why we need another War to send them all off to. Freshen up the gene pool and all that. You know it makes sense.
          “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

In the same way that he introduced the child trust fund just after he became a dad, lets see what he does now!
            Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy
              And that is why we need another War to send them all off to. Freshen up the gene pool and all that. You know it makes sense.
              We can make a start ( & apologies to anyone affected) by stopping IVF treatment- especially where the sperm is injected directly into the egg...
              How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by Troll
                We can make a start ( & apologies to anyone affected) by stopping IVF treatment- especially where the sperm is injected directly into the egg...
                Generally speaking it is not the chavs that have this done. It is the middle class with a bit of cash to spend on IVF.

I would go looking somewhere else

Comment

I suspect Atw and Chico's parents were very old when they were conceived...
                  Illegitimus non carborundum est!

Comment

Originally posted by Ardesco
                    Generally speaking it is not the chavs that have this done. It is the middle class with a bit of cash to spend on IVF.

I would go looking somewhere else
                    Bean flickers seem to think it's their 'right' to concieve this way
                    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Working...
                    X