• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contracting remotely from Ireland with UK company

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contracting remotely from Ireland with UK company

Hi,
    I've been contracting for over 20 years with my own limited company, and I'm planning on moving to the Republic of Ireland next summer. I'm going to wind up the LTD using an MVL before I leave.
    The London-based company I current provide services to are interested in me continuing to work with them, and I could work remotely from Ireland, for several months at least.
    So, I was wondering what's the best way to handle this? Use a UK umbrella company while living in Ireland? (I probably won't be tax-resident in Ireland next year due to being under 183 days spent in the country.)
    Or, operate through an Irish LTD or umbrella? I know some companies and agencies don't like dealing with non-UK contracting vehicles. (And in this case I may have to deal with an agency as middleman.)

I don't know if anyone on the forum has been in a similar situation?
    Thanks.

Originally posted by SilverBirch View Post
    Hi,
    I've been contracting for over 20 years with my own limited company, and I'm planning on moving to the Republic of Ireland next summer. I'm going to wind up the LTD using an MVL before I leave.
    The London-based company I current provide services to are interested in me continuing to work with them, and I could work remotely from Ireland, for several months at least.
    So, I was wondering what's the best way to handle this? Use a UK umbrella company while living in Ireland? (I probably won't be tax-resident in Ireland next year due to being under 183 days spent in the country.)
    Or, operate through an Irish LTD or umbrella? I know some companies and agencies don't like dealing with non-UK contracting vehicles. (And in this case I may have to deal with an agency as middleman.)

I don't know if anyone on the forum has been in a similar situation?
    Thanks.
    Not worked in your position before. I used to live in UK and work in UK via a UK Ltd. I now live in RoI and work in RoI via an RoI Ltd. But some thoughts:
    1. You are probably resident in Ireland from the day you move.
    2. If you are living and working in Ireland, you should probably set up a company in Ireland. Director's Umbrella is easy and as tax efficient / hassle free as is possible in Ireland. If you want to do anything more complex than selling a daily rate, then tour own Ltd may work better. Either way, I suggest you contact Icon Accounting. I use them as does stek (who may be along with his own experience).
    3. If UK companies don't want to deal with an Irish company then you need to think about it further.

Comment

Agree with NLYUK, tax res. day one.

Brexit will make all this especially hard though...

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
        Agree with NLYUK, tax res. day one.

Brexit will make all this especially hard though...
        Set up a UK Ltd in Newry to take advantage of reduced NI CT rates. Will need to be physically present there for work, but you can smuggle diesel going up and booze, fireworks and smokey coal on the way back. Mind you, some of the import / export competition may be able to handle themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
          Set up a UK Ltd in Newry to take advantage of reduced NI CT rates. Will need to be physically present there for work, but you can smuggle diesel going up and booze, fireworks and smokey coal on the way back. Mind you, some of the import / export competition may be able to handle themselves.
          And Lemsips. 7.59 Euro in Dubs for 10 sachets, paid 5.84 for 20 in UK. I'm a Lemsip-pusher....

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
            And Lemsips. 7.59 Euro in Dubs for 10 sachets, paid 5.84 for 20 in UK. I'm a Lemsip-pusher....
            Gripe water is banned in RoI, whereas you can buy codeine over the counter in RoI.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
              Gripe water is banned in RoI, whereas you can buy codeine over the counter in RoI.
              Gripe water is now non-alcoholic
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

According to the Irish revenue, whilst you may not be tax resident in Ireland if you haven't spent 183 days in Ireland in the given tax year, that only really affects how you're taxed on your worldwide income.

You'll still be liable to be taxed on any income from work you're performing in Ireland:
                https://www.revenue.ie/en/jobs-and-p...nce/index.aspx

If you're still tax resident in the UK then you may also be liable to tax on the income there so then you get into the whole double taxation treaty issue.

Comment

You mention an MVL, but I don’t see how you could legitimately take a capital distribution (with or without ER) in the circumstances you mention. It seems unlikely that you could argue you weren’t carrying on the “same or a similar trade or activity”.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
                    You mention an MVL, but I don’t see how you could legitimately take a capital distribution (with or without ER) in the circumstances you mention. It seems unlikely that you could argue you weren’t carrying on the “same or a similar trade or activity”.
                    I might be misremembering but wasn’t it said that employment (which would include an umbrella) would not count as a similar trade or activity?

Also, if you’re no longer in the U.K. how would HMRC know what you’re doing once you’ve left?

Comment

Working...
                    X