• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Special Case PAYE/Composite Co Question

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Special Case PAYE/Composite Co Question

Scenario:
    Working for 16 weeks only per financial year (i.e. the reminder of 06/07) at an hourly rate of
    £40 (Composite Company usage) or £36 (PAYE contract) and 40h per week.

No other income is generated during that year.
    No expenses are claimed.

Question:
    What is the better choice: PAYE contract or Composite Company with base salary and dividends? The Comp Co option is likely outside IR35 but nothing is ever 100% sure, is it;-)

Originally posted by MagicMan
    Scenario:
    Working for 16 weeks only per financial year (i.e. the reminder of 06/07) at an hourly rate of
    £40 (Composite Company usage) or £36 (PAYE contract) and 40h per week.
    Addon:
    Following this period I will be operating through a Composite Co or run a Ltd Co solution expected to be outside of IR35.

Is there any benefit from starting the Ltd Co this FY or waiting until April considering that this year is a low tax rate year?

Is there a free software or online tax calculator that lets me calculate such special cases? The ones I have seen did not allow to specify number or working weeks for PAYE calculations..

Comment

Start your own Ltd co. They dont have to be started at financial ye. In the first year you can choose to have a 6 month - 18month financial year to bring it into line with Tax Year if you really want but its not really that important.

Simple answer: Ltd Co = more money to you.

Comment

I agree with Sockpuppet, you will keep more through your own limited company. Composite comparisons are often inflated with false expenses and so not realistic.

Alan

Comment

Originally posted by Nixon Williams
          I agree with Sockpuppet, you will keep more through your own limited company. Composite comparisons are often inflated with false expenses and so not realistic.

Alan
          Been there, done that, in fact doing that!! must do something about setting up a company again!!
          "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero

Comment

Working...
          X