• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The accidental PM

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The accidental PM

I've always been a developer... Sometimes a lead developer or an architect/developer, but still a developer - writing code has always been part of my work.

Recently a previous client engaged me as architect/pm on a new project, as it turns out basically I'm now the PM on two sub projects totalling 8 developers.

So far the biggest confusion is the fact I don't seem to do anything tangible...I get to the end of the day and there isn't a single line of code with my name on it. Zero commits. Some days all I do is talk on the phone.

Anyone else made this transition and have any tips or anecdotes?!
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    I've always been a developer... Sometimes a lead developer or an architect/developer, but still a developer - writing code has always been part of my work.

Recently a previous client engaged me as architect/pm on a new project, as it turns out basically I'm now the PM on two sub projects totalling 8 developers.

So far the biggest confusion is the fact I don't seem to do anything tangible...I get to the end of the day and there isn't a single line of code with my name on it. Zero commits. Some days all I do is talk on the phone.

I feel sorry for the pain festering in your soul. Just do it, write a line of code, and pray.

Comment

Get yourself a Raspberry PI and remind yourself how much fun coding for your own pleasure can be.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post

Welcome to the world of the middle manager.

As you have found your new development tool of choice is the phone.

As an aside, I pity the poor bastewards who have to work under you
        The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

as a middle manager don't forget give yourself a few years to lose your technical skills and technical relevancy in the market and come the next recession the middle managers will all be kicked out and oooops you're on the ex-middle managers graveyard on the tills at your local Tesco

be careful with middle management

Milan.

Comment

Do keep up with tech trends, the silver lining is that you only have to be able to talk the talk, the larger the company the more relevant you will be as many middle managers and senior managers have 0 technical ability (which is why they shouldn't be running IT businesses, but that's another story).

Comment

In the words of the late Brucie... "Keep Dancing Invoicing"
              Last edited by administrator; 30 November 2017, 10:17. Reason: Fixing strike through.
              …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Yes, I was a project Manager for 10 years - always being told by the programmers why when it came to testing 100's of bugs were always found, so one day I had a new project that required a few changes, so I googled for 15 minutes and learned java, did the changes myself (I ate a pair while doing it to adhere to company policy of having 2 guys code bugs instead of one) and hey presto no bugs found.

Comment

And there was me thinking this was another thread about Mrs May...

His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by tarbera View Post
                    Yes, I was a project Manager for 10 years - always being told by the programmers why when it came to testing 100's of bugs were always found, so one day I had a new project that required a few changes, so I googled for 15 minutes and learned java, did the changes myself (I ate a pair while doing it to adhere to company policy of having 2 guys code bugs instead of one) and hey presto no bugs found.
                    Of what?
                    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Working...
                    X