• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

EU unhappy with UK have cake and eat it proposal

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EU unhappy with UK have cake and eat it proposal

The UK government managed to get a pass mark on phase 1, but they have been given a bit more homework to do.

EU to start trade talks only after UK decides what it actually wants

look forward to the cabinet discussions

I'm alright Jack

Remainers and leavers in Cabinet are equally deluded on this. Remainers think they can start with EEA and trade-off access for control (EEA-). Leavers think they can start with CETA and do the same (CETA+). It’s EEA or CETA, end of story, so CETA.

Comment

The cabinet having a discussion!!!

Well that will be interesting.

Doesn't help the Brexit Secretary hasn't done his homework assignments.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
        Remainers and leavers in Cabinet are equally deluded on this. Remainers think they can start with EEA and trade-off access for control (EEA-). Leavers think they can start with CETA and do the same (CETA+). It’s EEA or CETA, end of story, so CETA.
        It’ll be somewhere in the middle. Less access than Norway, more costly than Canada. And the government will spin it as a bespoke deal that only the UK could have got.

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
          It’ll be somewhere in the middle. Less access than Norway, more costly than Canada. And the government will spin it as a bespoke deal that only the UK could have got.
          I just can't picture this, not least for the reason you mentioned elsewhere (I think). CETA has a specific carve-out for the SM to ensure that a higher level of integration is permissible for countries within the SM and that Canada is not disadvantaged relative to other third-country FTAs. How does the EU offer an intermediate agreement to the UK without offering the same agreement to all other countries that currently enjoy an FTA with the EU? The EFTA route with bilateral treaties is not an option from the EU's POV. Mechanically and legally, how does a bespoke deal happen?

Comment

Rebranding exercise now going on...

Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Gove reported to be saying the public can vote on the brexit outcome at the next general election if they don't like the terms.

Unless the next general election is sooner than he thinks.

So yes, Labour landslide at next election. Their lack of vocalisation on brexit recently is a smart move. tulip sticks so why volunteer for a tar and feathering. Let May and her incompetent cronies suffer that.
              Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
                Gove reported to be saying the public can vote on the brexit outcome at the next general election if they don't like the terms.

Unless the next general election is sooner than he thinks.

So yes, Labour landslide at next election. Their lack of vocalisation on brexit recently is a smart move. tulip sticks so why volunteer for a tar and feathering. Let May and her incompetent cronies suffer that.
                I imagine that Corbyn arrives home every day thinking; I am so happy that I lost the election.
                "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
                  Rebranding exercise now going on...

well we can do the corruption

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...ption-evidence

though it only costs 3 EU divorces a year. I reckon we can go lower than that,

http://www.europarl.europa.eu/RegDat...)608687_EN.pdf

we are out of practice at clubbing people at ballot boxes or having a world empire but I suppose we could give it a go, we used to be quite good at it.

We are world leaders at raiding pensions and taxing till they squeak.
                  Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
                    Absolutely. No freedom of movement of labour means no EEA type agreement. So CETA it is. Which means a hard border in Ireland. If Ireland is to ratify that, the UK had better get a move on at explaining the new plan.
                    Last edited by northernladyuk; 10 December 2017, 10:46.

Comment

Working...
                    X