• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

From Berlin to Munich in just four hours

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fecken awesome... there'll be no need to make my way to the airport after this when travelling up north.

Got to love how the media here in Germany is complaining about the €10b cost of a 600+ km railway line project with 22 new tunnels and the UK is about to spend £56b on a 200km line from London to Birmingham!!

Due to travel up to Berlin in January - looking forward to it. in fairness Edinburgh to London only takes 4 hours 45 minutes, although it's a shaky ride at speed.

Germany has officially inaugurated a new high-speed rail route between the two German cities, slashing travel time to four hours from six. Steven Beardsley was aboard one of the first two ceremonial trains.

Bildergalerie Verkehrsprojekt Deutsche Einheit Nummer 8 (Deutsche Bahn AG/Frank Barteld)
    Chancellor Angela Merkel was at Berlin's central train station on Friday to celebrate the inauguration of Germany's new high-speed rail line between the capital and the country's third-most populous city, Munich.

The ceremonial first journey from Munich to Berlin clocked in at just about four hours, two hours shorter than the previous connection. Over 300 rail and 170 road bridges had to be built along the 623-kilometer (387-mile) route, on which trains can travel at a maxium speed of 300 kilometers per hour (186 mph).

Politically symbolic and technically impressive, the new high-speed rail line between Munich and Berlin also injects some much-needed competition to Germany's long-distance travel market.

By shaving off a third of the travel time between the two cities and speeding up times elsewhere, German rail operator Deutsche Bahn has made passenger rail an even more attractive alternative to flying, in particular.

source: From Berlin to Munich in just four hours | Business | DW | 08.12.2017

Last edited by scooterscot; 10 December 2017, 17:31.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Isn't €10b about £56b ?

Comment

Mind you - took 25 years or so, HS2 might be a bit quicker!

German efficiency is legendary, ie only exists in legends, mrs stek's German work permit took nearly 5 months to process due to being in someones in-tray in Bonn, and last time I checked, Schönefeld Airport was till unfinished in it's new guise of Berlin-Brandenburg, I was due to be flying in there for my birthday on it's due date for completion. That was 2008 I think...

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
        Mind you - took 25 years or so, HS2 might be a bit quicker!

German efficiency is legendary, ie only exists in legends, mrs stek's German work permit took nearly 5 months to process due to being in someones in-tray in Bonn, and last time I checked, Schönefeld Airport was till unfinished in it's new guise of Berlin-Brandenburg, I was due to be flying in there for my birthday on it's due date for completion. That was 2008 I think...
        quitter it has to be better!
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Handy for those looking for a beer in October.

Comment

Still, after Brexit Germany won't be able to afford another one so make the most of it...

Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Look at the mess that Stuttgart 21 has been so far as well...
              Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                Handy for those looking for a beer in October.
                You mean September?!
                "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

I used to travel from London to Birmingham weekly, with the exception of a few peak time trains it was mostly 20% full at most. So it will benefit approx 2000 peak time users daily, so just give these 2000 £1million each to retire and we have saved £40 billion

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                    Still, after Brexit Germany won't be able to afford another one so make the most of it...

After Brexit Britain won't be able to afford the NHS -

just a sneaking feeling.

Comment

Working...
                    X