• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Motorists 'must pay for road use'

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Motorists 'must pay for road use'

Motorists should be asked to pay to drive on the nation's road network, a report commissioned by the government has recommended .

Now this does piss me off. I would much prefer to use public transport to get to client sites rather than hammering up and down the A1 every day but at the moment it's just not a reasonable option. Train Services on the East Coast Mainline to anywhere but London are abysmal and the cost is prohibitive. Even with road charging it will almost certainly still be cheaper and definately quicker and easier for me to drive the 55 miles each way than use the train.
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Originally posted by DaveB
    Motorists should be asked to pay to drive on the nation's road network, a report commissioned by the government has recommended .

Now this does piss me off. I would much prefer to use public transport to get to client sites rather than hammering up and down the A1 every day but at the moment it's just not a reasonable option. Train Services on the East Coast Mainline to anywhere but London are abysmal and the cost is prohibitive. Even with road charging it will almost certainly still be cheaper and definately quicker and easier for me to drive the 55 miles each way than use the train.
    I'm not sure why you're pissed off DaveB.

Road charging will probably make it quicker for you, by discouraging people who don't need to travel at peak times.

Comment

The problem is Brown is somewhat potless. The govt have also announced a smoking ban in public places - although not in private houses - shades of big brother there.

So with one of his big revenue earners dropping he needs to replensih it.

The lack of a viable alternative is good news to him as it means you have to pay the tax. I wonder if that is why the train companies are allowed to slap on above inflation increases to their already excessive fares
      Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by Lucy
        I'm not sure why you're pissed off DaveB.

Road charging will probably make it quicker for you, by discouraging people who don't need to travel at peak times.
        Who travels a peek time other than out of necessity? Also the level of traffic in central London is almost back up to the pre-charging days. On the news this morning it was said that the report was commissioned by the Treasury, concern about congestion and transport is not in their remit, revenue raising is.
        "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Traffic has grown in the last five years in London since the congestion charge, but then part of the problem is that Ken took away a lot of road capacity through bus lanes so that some of the gains from congestion charging were lost (but given to buses). In Singapore it has dramatically reduced congestion, with traffic down 20%, and the rates vary by time of day and location, so you pay more at some points, less at others and nothing elsewhere.

Pricing works to reallocate demand by time and location in aviation, hotels and telecommunications (and some trains), it has always worked. The roads are congested because of the tragedy of the commons - nobody faces the marginal cost their road use imposes on everyone else.

With road pricing you'll find:
          - peak times will cost a lot more;
          - off peak will cost a lot less;
          - most people will drive as they do now, but maybe 20% will either switch to public transport, drive another time or not take the trip at all.

It's hardly rocket science, it's been talked about for 40 years and the technology now exists to do it - it's been used on a more limited scale in many countries around the world.

Comment

"Also the level of traffic in central London is almost back up to the pre-charging days."

I've noticed this also. While it dropped at first, it was obvious that the numbers would start creeping back up. That is probably why red ken is trying to rebrand it as a pollution charge. Does that mean that people are going to have to go around and repaing all the 'c's on the roads to p - unless the c actually stands for charge.

"On the news this morning it was said that the report was commissioned by the Treasury, concern about congestion and transport is not in their remit, revenue raising is"

Kind of like asking a drug user if the NHS should give out free drugs
            Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB
              .... Train Services on the East Coast Mainline to anywhere but London are abysmal and the cost is prohibitive.
              I discussed transport policy with an old friend of mine who happens, I'm afraid, to have gone into politics. At the end I said, so in short what you really want is for people simply to travel less. Yes, was the straight answer.

Comment

I'd consider charging if all the other road taxes were removed. Also, does it mean that those who drive without insurance/tax now would drive for free in the future. At least with the tax applied to petrol they pay that tax!

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Stealth tax.

Revenue from employment based taxes will decline thus government must pay its debts by bleeding us dry through other means.

Comment

Well charging for road use is fair - and the more you use the system the more you should pay.

HTH
                    Hard Brexit now!
                    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
                    X