• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Has anybody claimed laptop as business expense

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has anybody claimed laptop as business expense

Wondering if anybody here has bought laptop for business purpose here can share the experience. Did you buy it using business bank account? Was the process as straightforward as a normal expense?

Read the First Timer guide ---> or download IPSE's guide.

Ask you accountant...

If you haven't got an accountant please find one asap before you start screwing things up to the extent HMRC notice...
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Yes definitely speak to your accountant first. I used my business debt card attached to my business current account to buy my company iMac. Just make sure you get a vat receipt. It will probably be marked as a capital purchase and appear as an asset on your year end accounts. If you are registered on the vat flat rate scheme you can only claim the vat back if the total invoice is more than £2000. If you are registered on the normal standard vat then you can claim the vat back whatever the cost.

Comment

This from someone who feels competent to lecture us on IR35 and tax avoidance.

I suspect (s)he hails from Trollhatten.
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
          This from someone who feels competent to lecture us on IR35 and tax avoidance.

I suspect (s)he hails from Trollhatten.
          Does seem rather likely, doesn't it.
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by Andy O View Post
            Yes definitely speak to your accountant first. I used my business debt card attached to my business current account to buy my company iMac. Just make sure you get a vat receipt. It will probably be marked as a capital purchase and appear as an asset on your year end accounts. If you are registered on the vat flat rate scheme you can only claim the vat back if the total invoice is more than £2000. If you are registered on the normal standard vat then you can claim the vat back whatever the cost.
            Am on flat VAT and the laptop wont cost 2k. Not planning to buy anything else, so VAT back wont apply. Asked my accountant long time ago, he said it does not matter which card you use, but I guess I will use business account to keep it simple.
            Thanks for your reply.

Comment

Originally posted by fatboyslim View Post
              Am on flat VAT and the laptop wont cost 2k. Not planning to buy anything else, so VAT back wont apply. Asked my accountant long time ago, he said it does not matter which card you use, but I guess I will use business account to keep it simple.
              Thanks for your reply.
              ~You might like to challenge your accountant on the wisdom of staying on FRS given the limited gains these days and the minor detail that you can't reclaim VAT on necessary business expenditure.
              Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                ~You might like to challenge your accountant on the wisdom of staying on FRS given the limited gains these days and the minor detail that you can't reclaim VAT on necessary business expenditure.
                I asked when rates were changed, and he wanted me to stick to it due to simplicity and little gain by going out of flat rate, in my case.

Comment

Should have mentioned in original question, who here uses his/her own laptop on client site? My last client was pretty insistent on using their laptop due to 'security' issue.

Comment

Originally posted by fatboyslim View Post
                    I asked when rates were changed, and he wanted me to stick to it due to simplicity and little gain by going out of flat rate, in my case.
                    his simplicity or yours?

HINT: There's more than one question there......

See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Working...
                    X