• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

2nd car for Mrs Sockie

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2nd car for Mrs Sockie

After some time as a senior house and family office manager, Mrs Sockie is having an actual paid job now and one that requires a commute.
    Being just back into the wonderful job market her salary will definitely be on the lower end of the scale and me still paying most of the bills and her part covering the car lease and some cosmetics. We're both fine with that as you have to (re)start somewhere.
    With all that in mind what you do car wise?
    Buy an old cheap car outright, lease a cheap car, lease/rent a new slightly more expensive car?
    I offered to buy her a bicycle, which didn't go too well.
    Lease new, upmarket, return after 3 years
    13.33%
    Lease new, midrange, keep after 3 years
    13.33%
    buy old car outright
    73.33%
    get a loan for a 2nd hand mid-range car
    0.00%

The poll is expired.

she'll need one of these, whatever, a sockie needs a shoie :

Last edited by BR14; 1 January 2018, 23:29.

Comment

How long is the commute?
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by yasockie View Post
        After some time as a senior house and family office manager, Mrs Sockie is having an actual paid job now and one that requires a commute.
        Being just back into the wonderful job market her salary will definitely be on the lower end of the scale and me still paying most of the bills and her part covering the car lease and some cosmetics. We're both fine with that as you have to (re)start somewhere.
        Buy an old cheap car outright, lease a cheap car, lease/rent a new slightly more expensive car?
        Not sure I would do lease again and it’s quite satisfying that we own both cars outright.

Buying an almost new second hand car is probably my preferred route now. But I’m talking about a relatively high end car with very low mileage.

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
          Not sure I would do lease again and it’s quite satisfying that we own both cars outright.

Buying an almost new second hand car is probably my preferred route now. But I’m talking about a relatively high end car with very low mileage.
          Commute is about 20-25 miles each day (including the school runs)
          What's so satisfying about owning a deprecating asset? I guess if they're exotic supercars, then they don't get any cheaper, everything else is just money down the drain anyway so who cares who owns the car?

Comment

2nd car for Mrs Sockie

Comment

and one of these?

Comment

The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Comment

make sure it has a decent size back seat, may back isn't what it used to be!
                    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                    X