• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Army trying to appeal to snowflakes

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Army trying to appeal to snowflakes

Sign of the times - is nothing sacred.

New Army recruitment adverts 'won't appeal to new soldiers' - BBC News
    Do what thou wilt

Snowflakes Said almost unanimously by civvies who've fought nothing worse than a bad cold and General Melchett type ex-servicemen like IDS.

Comment

Originally posted by craig1 View Post
      Snowflakes Said almost unanimously by civvies who've fought nothing worse than a bad cold and General Melchett type ex-servicemen like IDS.
      My brother agrees they are. ex-1para. And still some debate in the family if he turned down the SAS and took the NATO role or joined the SAS and lied to us.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
        My brother agrees they are. ex-1para. And still some debate in the family if he turned down the SAS and took the NATO role or joined the SAS and lied to us.
        You aren't going to get someone who sniffles at a small bit of criticism joining the special forces. Just as you aren't going to get many SAS types serving as REME techs. The army is far, far more than just a bunch of infantry grunts and can cope with far more than just the square-jawed, white, working class, straight blokes who are the traditional fodder for the army. Substantially better than the "be the best" Americanised dross that emphasises skilled robots rather than the thinking soldier that has made the British Army better than our peers for generations.

Also, what's so "snowflake" about telling people they're joining a "family"? My ex-squaddie mates know more about me than my wife of 19 years does.

Comment

You aren't going to get someone who sniffles at a small bit of criticism joining the special forces. Just as you aren't going to get many SAS types serving as REME techs. The army is far, far more than just a bunch of infantry grunts and can cope with far more than just the square-jawed, white, working class, straight blokes who are the traditional fodder for the army. Substantially better than the "be the best" Americanised dross that emphasises skilled robots rather than the thinking soldier that has made the British Army better than our peers for generations.

Also, what's so "snowflake" about telling people they're joining a "family"? My ex-squaddie mates know more about me than my wife of 19 years does.
          My brother always said being in the army was not so much family as being part of the government spin machine.

British army has always done very well. For instance they were the first to specify minimum distances between latrines and kitchens.

I think the concern is to keep the British army among the best in the world - despite the treatment handed out by the government.

Comment

My brother always said being in the army was not so much family as being part of the government spin machine.

British army has always done very well. For instance they were the first to specify minimum distances between latrines and kitchens.

I think the concern is to keep the British army among the best in the world - despite the treatment handed out by the government.
            I'd hate to have served with his unit then if they didn't see each other as family, maybe it's just how he defines "family". We clearly did. I served as part of an artillery forward observation team, essentially we did the same job as non-standard infantry types but with access to big guns

We were a family in all bar name, the old rules of you can choose friends but you're stuck with your family definitely applied, you have "family" you can't stand, you have "family" who will be with you for life and you'll do more for all of them than you'll do for anyone else. One of our "family" died of a completely non-army illness a couple of years ago at the young age of 49, a few tears were shed at his funeral by us and I think you'd get more than a light telling off if you wanted to call any of us snowflake.

But for that "family", I doubt I'd have got out the army without some sort of complex PTSD.

Comment

I think you missed my point - i wasn't ever suggesting soldiers were snowflakes.. Not ever.
              I have massive respect for each and every one of them.

It's the fact that they've changed their recruitment campaign to try and appeal to the softer generation.
              Do what thou wilt

Comment

Originally posted by Dark Black View Post
                I think you missed my point - i wasn't ever suggesting soldiers were snowflakes.. Not ever.
                I have massive respect for each and every one of them.

It's the fact that they've changed their recruitment campaign to try and appeal to the softer generation.
                And yet the Liberal PC juggernaut rolls on unchallenged creating ever 'softer' generations. I think a fair few of the younger generation are a bit wiser to the reasons we are going to war these days and opting not to go and die/come back in bits/PTSD etc just to prop up the MIC/banks/oil companies etc.
                "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Originally posted by Jog On View Post
                  And yet the Liberal PC juggernaut rolls on unchallenged creating ever 'softer' generations. I think a fair few of the younger generation are a bit wiser to the reasons we are going to war these days and opting not to go and die/come back in bits/PTSD etc just to prop up the MIC/banks/oil companies etc.
                  Wiser or Lazier?

Comment

Wiser or Lazier?
                    Both - and a lot less patriotic, and I don't blame them. I wouldn't be patriotic if I was a millenial now. I'm not patriotic as a 40 something - I'm utterly ashamed, embarrassed and disillusioned with our country.
                    "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Working...
                    X