• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Why Are Pimps Forcing the Company Kool-Aid?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why Are Pimps Forcing the Company Kool-Aid?

All of a sudden my mobile phone and inbox seems to be awash with recruiters offering permie positions. My CV and all of the site profiles it is attached to, quite clearly state I am seeking contract work. Whenever I've posed the question it's always been "well, just on the off chance" - I just don't get it. My minimum daily rate is also pretty clear on said sites, and none of the perm jobs I've been consulted on have come close to it - frankly a couple of them were insulting!

Anyone else having the same issue!?

Originally posted by mattfx View Post
    All of a sudden my mobile phone and inbox seems to be awash with recruiters offering permie positions. My CV and all of the site profiles it is attached to, quite clearly state I am seeking contract work. Whenever I've posed the question it's always been "well, just on the off chance" - I just don't get it. My minimum daily rate is also pretty clear on said sites, and none of the perm jobs I've been consulted on have come close to it - frankly a couple of them were insulting!

Anyone else having the same issue!?
    I get about an email a day for a pimp chancing their arm. Always on a round robin: -

Hi Brillo,

Not been in touch for a while. How are you?

I have a great role at megabank in their city branch paying up to £27k a year. Plus benefits!

If you are interested, please send back your current CV.

Catch you late
    Philip Imp

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
      I get about an email a day for a pimp chancing their arm. Always on a round robin: -

Hi Brillo,

Not been in touch for a while. How are you?

I have a great role at megabank in their city branch paying up to £27k a year. Plus benefits!

If you are interested, please send back your current CV.

Catch you late
      Philip Imp
      Well used to those emails which are generic mailshotty type things. But a few of these pimps have actually been calling me up about roles! It's just such a waste of time for us both.

Comment

Originally posted by mattfx View Post
        Well used to those emails which are generic mailshotty type things. But a few of these pimps have actually been calling me up about roles! It's just such a waste of time for us both.
        Personally I don't mind. When things change and I am looking for a gig I want them to remember me fondly.

Last year(gig terminated then resurrected) I found jobserve worse than useless. Keeping in touch with a handful of pimps was far more productive.

I even tried calling up some pimps and offering money in a brown envelope - I have seen it suggested a few times here). I did that 3 times. That is 3 pimps who will never speak to me again. When did pimps develop morals?

Comment

Personally I don't mind. When things change and I am looking for a permie role in the middle of nowhere with an abusive client for £25k a year I want them to remember me fondly.
          FTFY.

Comment

Personally I don't mind. When things change and I am looking for a gig I want them to remember me fondly.

Last year(gig terminated then resurrected) I found jobserve worse than useless. Keeping in touch with a handful of pimps was far more productive.
            I keep in touch with them, and if they call me when I'm in contract I'll let them know when it's due to end and they normally leave me alone until about a month before the end of contract (there are exceptions, though).

Jobserve is useful to see what's going on in the market, spotting the non-existent roles, or finding out what other agencies are advertising the same role.
            …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by billybiro View Post
              FTFY.
              If you want a permit role with abusive clients, can I suggest becoming a forum moderator. You won't get £25k a year though.

…Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                If you want a permit role with abusive clients, can I suggest becoming a forum moderator. You won't get £25k a year though.

Surely it's more than double that to keep this lot in line? SJD's ad bill must pay for at least 4 of you with the amount it gets shown!

Comment

I even tried calling up some pimps and offering money in a brown envelope - I have seen it suggested a few times here). I did that 3 times. That is 3 pimps who will never speak to me again. When did pimps develop morals?
                  Don't get me wrong I'm never rude or blunt with them, I kindly remind them I am only really in the market for contract roles unless the permie package is insane. And to be fair, one was.. But that was one I applied for.

Keeping in touch with pimps who you've had memorable conversations with defintely helps - 4 out of my last 7 CV submissions have happened via people I've stayed in touch with. Interview on Tuesday and so far all looking promising!

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post

I am sure the lack of pay is made up by the love you receive.

Comment

Working...
                    X