• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Politics, what's stopping you from running for office?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Politics, what's stopping you from running for office?

MF is obviously on the sex pest list. But what's stopping the rest of you?

Prior experience.
    Politicians only think they're running the country. They're not. They have zero clout unless a they're a Cabinet Minister and even then hardly any.
    Civil servants are running the country. That is where the power is.

Comment

I have a lot of time for Francis Maude he tried his hardest to solve the spectacular waste in our (un)-Civil Service...

have a read of this speech that he gave last year...

https://www.conservativehome.com/par...full-text.html

We are fed the utter bulltulip that the civil service remains impartial but I am afraid when you have a majority of them belonging to a union that in turn funds the Labour Party there is a clear conflict of interest that is not in the best interests of the tax payer.

Comment

I was elected onto a couple of local council groups that I am involved in, but having dealt with some of the more senior parts of the local district council and the county council, they are basically full of unelected bureaucrats who come up with policies which they show no flexibility in, nor do they want to step out of their offices to see the impact of their decisions, or understand what could be done better. I have no desire to go beyond my current level of involvement.
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by bobspud View Post
          I have a lot of time for Francis Maude he tried his hardest to solve the spectacular waste in our (un)-Civil Service...

have a read of this speech that he gave last year...

https://www.conservativehome.com/par...full-text.html

We are fed the utter bulltulip that the civil service remains impartial but I am afraid when you have a majority of them belonging to a union that in turn funds the Labour Party there is a clear conflict of interest that is not in the best interests of the tax payer.
          you may say that, - i couldn't POSSIBLY comment

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
            but having dealt with some of the more senior parts of the local district council and the county council, they are basically full of unelected bureaucrats who come up with policies which they show no flexibility in, nor do they want to step out of their offices to see the impact of their decisions, or understand what could be done better.
            Are you sure you are not an MEP?
            “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Ah, I would. But I'm not resident in the UK.
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                I was elected onto a couple of local council groups that I am involved in, but having dealt with some of the more senior parts of the local district council and the county council, they are basically full of unelected bureaucrats who come up with policies which they show no flexibility in, nor do they want to step out of their offices to see the impact of their decisions, or understand what could be done better. I have no desire to go beyond my current level of involvement.
                Remind me how you were elected to CUK office?

Personally I can't run for office. I want to help people....

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                  Remind me how you were elected to CUK office?

Personally I can't run for office. I want to help people....
                  Not CUK office. That wasn't election, that was nomination followed by investiture.
                  …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by HugeWhale View Post
                    Prior experience.
                    Politicians only think they're running the country. They're not. They have zero clout unless a they're a Cabinet Minister and even then hardly any.
                    Civil servants are running the country. That is where the power is.
                    Perhaps at the country wide level but at the local level perhaps they can still change things for the local community.

Comment

Working...
                    X