• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

'Team' away day

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'Team' away day

The team in which I am contracting are planning an away day activity paid for by the client. What's the best way to approach this given that they're a great bunch and I don't want to come across in a negative light by declining the invite, so that I can stay on the right side of IR35 compliance?

Originally posted by ckms View Post
    The team in which I am contracting are planning an away day activity paid for by the client. What's the best way to approach this given that they're a great bunch and I don't want to come across in a negative light by declining the invite, so that I can stay on the right side of IR35 compliance?
    Be proactive.

Before (if) they invite you, wish them a jolly good day out and tell them you'll be cracking on with work to hold the fort in their absence
    Do what thou wilt

Comment

Go and don't worry about it like 99.99% of people would.

Let's face it, it's indicative at the absolute best and nothing in future is going to hinge on it. At this point, I'd suggest your client relationship is more important than some hypothetical vague point in future.

Technically, I guess you could pay for your share if you really wanted.

Comment

Is it on a working day, or at the weekend?
        Is there any "work" slant to this, or is it "let's go to a pub for lunch"?
        Can your company contribute to the event? (e.g. get the first round of drinks in)
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

I've got one of these coming up and went to one last year - it was mandatory all staff and every contractor went. Could have dug my heels in but chose client relationship - I think I even asked my accountant who told me to go and not worry about it.
          "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Just go.

Comment

If you decline no one cares, you might think they do, but they don't. I usually don't take part in things simply because I can't be bothered.

However if you decide to take part don't worry about it.
              I'm alright Jack

Comment

Go and don't worry about it.

Comment

I did one in June. Football zorbing. Enormous fun.

I am sure HMRC spies were there recording everything as they have so much time for that....

Comment

You mean a proper day out like watching a football match from the sponsor's box, a boat ride / free meal?

Or some HR "team building" horror, being made to dance like Michel Jackson or similar humiliation.

If it is (b), IR35 is your friend.

Comment

Working...
                    X