• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is the UK still a christian country?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is the UK still a christian country?

Jewish leaders call on Inner North London coroner to quit - BBC News

Jewish leaders have called for the resignation of a coroner in north London in a dispute over delays in releasing bodies for burial.

Under Jewish and Islamic law, bodies must be buried on the day of death or as soon as possible afterwards.

But Mary Hassell has said she would not fast-track inquests based on religion.

Her jurisdiction includes parts of north London which are home to large communities of orthodox Jews and Muslims.

--------------------------------
    If the residents are mostly people who need to be buried quickly, fast tracking will not help anyway.

Maybe it should be possible to pay for fast tracking bodies for release which would pay for any extra staff needed?

Being tolerant of other faiths does not mean they should be running the country.

How would Saufdi deal with Christians telling the government how to operate?

If the UK were a secular country, would it make any difference? I can imagine the same issue arising in France, for example, and that is, constitutionally, a secular nation.

While I think that it's the decent thing to do to accommodate other cultures where possible, it's not their right to be accomodated (or at least, it shouldn't be). Anyway, for both Islam and Judaism, the key phrase is "as soon as possible afterwards". There is no fast track, therefore "as soon as possible" is when its their turn in the queue.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Shortage of staff along with ridiculous pays sees more people leaving the UK. So, in that case some services will be hit no doubt, so people need to understand that. It's not that the bodies are not being released intentionally, its only taking some time. So they have to comply with that...

Comment

While I think that it's the decent thing to do to accommodate other cultures where possible, it's not their right to be accommodated
        Quite agree. Ok if there's no major effect on others but prioritising their release is going to put back that of others. The rights of one person or group should not trump everyone' else's.
        bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
        John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
          The rights of one person or group should not trump everyone' else's.
          So you're not a fan of monarchy?
          "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
            If the UK were a secular country, would it make any difference? I can imagine the same issue arising in France, for example, and that is, constitutionally, a secular nation.

While I think that it's the decent thing to do to accommodate other cultures where possible, it's not their right to be accomodated (or at least, it shouldn't be). Anyway, for both Islam and Judaism, the key phrase is "as soon as possible afterwards". There is no fast track, therefore "as soon as possible" is when its their turn in the queue.
            Points well made and taken on board.

Oddly though, France being secular is not as tolerant towards religion? I am thinking particularly of the burka ban. Which I hope is not repeated here. In my opinion, freedom of choice should take priority. I am of course worried that some women are forced into wearing it.

Mrs BP says that in some Muslim cultures, because men cannot control themselves women are forced to cover up. Not only that, men wear the easy colour(white) in the sun leaving women to bake in black. Who can disagree?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
              Points well made and taken on board.

Oddly though, France being secular is not as tolerant towards religion? I am thinking particularly of the burka ban. Which I hope is not repeated here. In my opinion, freedom of choice should take priority. I am of course worried that some women are forced into wearing it.

Mrs BP says that in some Muslim cultures, because men cannot control themselves women are forced to cover up. Not only that, men wear the easy colour(white) in the sun leaving women to bake in black. Who can disagree?
              Research Aisha's night ride with another man, found in the Hadiths - that is the "why". Dirty stop out.

Comment

So you're not a fan of monarchy?
                Bit off topic but I certainly am not. Hoping the 3rd Charles will go the same way as the 1st then we can ditch this outdated institution. How can we criticise people for taking advantage of benefits when we hand these people huge wealth & privilege by virtue of birth?

I am thinking particularly of the burka ban
                Too much fuss about the Burka in my view. We should focus on problems not symptoms. The real problem is when people rigidly follow the mantra of supposedly holy texts rather than more logical policies which aim to improve human happiness. We should ensure that any who seek to come to the UK embrace our core principles and make sure that all children are brought up to follow them. Religious freedom should only be ok in so far as it does not hold back our society.
                Last edited by xoggoth; 20 January 2018, 20:08.
                bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                  Mrs BP says that in some Muslim cultures, because men cannot control themselves women are forced to cover up.
                  Mrs BP is talking rubbish. She is merely repeating the lie these men tell to justify the subjugation of women.
                  Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post

NAT in "making sense" scandal. Come on.....fess up........who has hacked his account?

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Working...
                    X