• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ad Hoc contract and client expectations.....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, I'm currently happily engaged in a full time contract which involves me staying away. Have plenty of time on my hands of an evening.

Was approached by an agency on behalf of a second consultancy client to do ad hoc support work, totally remotely, using my own equipment for £50 an hour billed as needed.

Looked at it as an opportunity to potentially have a long term source of ad hoc work which whilst not making one rich, would protect the war chest during down time.

Established during the interview the SLA's were to respond initially in 8 hours and fix within 27 for a P2/P3 ticket. I said I was going to be sitting around just waiting for tickets to arrive etc and they concurred.

Quite happy with that. Emails come into my phone. Lunch times I look at anything that came in during the morning, evenings I pick up anything that arrived in the afternoon.

In general, tickets are extremely simple, master data and user help type issues, nothing taxing. Everything seemed to be going ok until Thursday afternoon when an urgent follow up to something I'd fixed came in at 15:10 - except I was driving and didn't pick it up until 17:50 - by which time I had a stropanote from client manager asking me to confirm my availability to service their customers as it was apparent I was not available during office hours.

I replied back basically saying the above and that I batched them together at lunch time and evenings as it was more efficient use of time and that I wasn't sitting around waiting on their emails (not at that rate).

Client now wants to discuss with the agency which is fine and if they want to terminate no skin of my nose it was a gamble that didn't work out. However, is it reasonable to be paying an hour rate for when working on tickets but expect the consultant to respond within 90 minutes when not paying for stand by.

I said I was going to be sitting around just waiting for tickets to arrive etc
    I assume you meant to type that you were not going to be sitting around.

It's not reasonable for a client to expect a 90 minute response when the SLA says 8 hours.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Best get your negotiating hat on.

If they want to talk to the agency then it sounds like something bad is coming your way.
      I take it that the described SLAs aren’t written in the contract, or are they?

Talk to the agency first though. Let them fight your corner. If they will.
      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

The client manager probably just doesn’t know about the 8 hour SLA and thinks you’re just the IT guy on call.

Just see what happens but make sure the agency is well versed on the SLA’s

Comment

Originally posted by mookiemoo View Post
          I replied back basically saying the above and that I batched them together at lunch time and evenings as it was more efficient use of time and that I wasn't sitting around waiting on their emails (not at that rate).
          I'm not sure that was wise - I'd have just highlighted the 8 hour SLA and then left that one until 7h58m just to make the point.
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

You mention P2/P3 issues, what about P1 and who decides what is a P1 etc? Maybe client was looking for an urgent response to a P1?

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
              You mention P2/P3 issues, what about P1 and who decides what is a P1 etc? Maybe client was looking for an urgent response to a P1?
              Ticket came through as normal P2 with only the description at Urgent - hence I didn't see it. I see the JIRA title and P rating without going into the ticket itself to read the details.

I'd argue that you should rely on ad hoc resource for P1's if they need looking at within 120 minutes with no prior warning they are coming through.

Comment

Originally posted by mookiemoo View Post
                Ticket came through as normal P2 with only the description at Urgent - hence I didn't see it. I see the JIRA title and P rating without going into the ticket itself to read the details.

I'd argue that you should rely on ad hoc resource for P1's if they need looking at within 120 minutes with no prior warning they are coming through.
                Is there a separate SLA for P1 work (not that this applies in the situation you describe)?
                Best Forum Advisor 2014
                Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                  Is there a separate SLA for P1 work (not that this applies in the situation you describe)?
                  Yes, but even that is 2 hours which I was technically within anyway

Comment

The customer made a mistake by defining it P2 instead of P1, their mistake. Point that out, no further action required
                    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
                    X