• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What would you do if you weren't a contractor?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What would you do if you weren't a contractor?

One of the beauties about contracting it allows us to try other things. I have spectacularly failed at day trading, succeeded at property investment opened shop & imported tat. All allowed by ability to fall back on contracting when required.

Now I'm looking for the next thing to do? Are all contractors frustrated entrepeneurs or are we really philanthropists spreading our skills?

If you didnt contract what would you do?
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

There was a time when:

1: I wasn't a contractor
    2: I didn't work in IT

I could easily return to that employment but nothing, absolutely nothing, is as lucrative as IT.

I have also done the entrepeneur thing while contracting. The trouble was I needed to bet the house to take it to the next level... with young kids I baulked at doing so
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan
      If you didnt contract what would you do?
      That's a good question and I bet you'll get many predictable answers from the "businessmen" on here.

I'd almost certainly be a permie.

Comment

Contracting was always a plan B for me, to tide me over until I got my own business going. But I've been doing it for over a year now, and just started another 6 month contract so the plan A is making little to no progress (unless you count me daydreaming about how great it would be as progress ).

I think you need the fear of having no income, and need to be prepared to gamble it all to really succeed at your own thing. Doing it bit by bit at the weekends or evenings just doesn't really work, at least not for me. Maybe that's a sign I should stick to daydreaming.

In reality I'd probably be a permie.
        Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

I would probably go for a PhD...Working as a researcher for a big university was always my wish, but I failed to pursue mainly for monetary reasons...
          The rest is silence...

Comment

I reckon it's a bit of a double edged sword in a way: the money is so good that it forms a disincentive to try anything else. When I'm evaluating a (non-IT) project, there's always the thought at the back of mind that the same effort (hours wise) would yield much more in IT.

Comment

Originally posted by bobhope
              I reckon it's a bit of a double edged sword in a way: the money is so good that it forms a disincentive to try anything else. When I'm evaluating a (non-IT) project, there's always the thought at the back of mind that the same effort (hours wise) would yield much more in IT.
              That is an excellent point. Within five minutes, most of my ideas to do something different usually run aground on that. I'm lucky I'm not tied to IT though.

Comment

Originally posted by bobhope
                New Labour are doing what they can (through immigration and promoting offshoring) to remove that disincentive.

HTH

Comment

Rent Boy.

Chico
                  Illegitimus non carborundum est!

Comment

Not sure what I would do, I wouldn't mind being a pilot, but the cost of getting yourself qualified to fly at all times of the day/night and in all weather conditions is horrible, and then you have to spend a load of time flying in all of the above conditions to keep your qualifications.

I probably wouldn't last long as a permie though, after 6 months to a year I get itchy feet if i'm doing the same thing day in, day out. You could say I have a short attention span

Comment

Working...
                    X