• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Travel expenses: travel card if living in London

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Travel expenses: travel card if living in London

Hi
    I live in London (zone 4). My current contract is: 3 days a week on site in central London(zone 1) /2 days from home( e.g exactly 40% of time). Contract is less than 24 months. My client doesn't pay expenses.
    Can I pay myself back the cost of the london travelcard and lunches via Ltd?

My accountant says that if the client was paying expenses I could , but since no - then I can't
    I'm reading the giudelines and don't find relevant rules.

Can anyone could explain/point out where to read the explanation on:
    a) how the expenses I claim via Ltd depend on whether client covers them or not.
    b) Can travel expenses can be claimed if I live and work in London.
    c) How the situation be different if I was working from the client's office:
    c.1) 1 day a week
    c.2) 5 days a week
    [/INDENT]

Thank you

Read the faq about the 24 month rule. There are too many questions to ask to get an idea of your situation about what you can and can’t claim.

But
    A-they don’t
    B-yes if not caught by the 24 month rule
    C-there is No difference. But you’d have to work out if it’s cheaper to get day tickets rather than a travel card. Hmrc wouldn’t be happy with you getting a month travel card to go to the client site 4 times. For example

Comment

You can claim travel and subsistence if you are travelling to a temporary workplace and are not caught by the 24 month rule. As you spend more than 40% of your time onsite you will need to evaluate the 24 month part of the rule.

You might also need to take into consideration any time spent at a precious client site if it was broadly in the same place and in the journey was the same.

There’s a big sticky thread about this.

It’s also acceptable to get a travel card if the overall cost is less than the equivalent day tickets.

It makes no difference if you are recharging the costs to your client.
      Last edited by TheCyclingProgrammer; 26 January 2018, 17:23.

Comment

Working...
      X