• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Tesco Mobile app recording conversations?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tesco Mobile app recording conversations?

I used the Tesco mobile app on my Iphone for an international call this morning. 3 minutes into conversation, the call went funny and all of a sudden my conversation was played back right from the start while I was still saying hello hello down the phone to figure out what was happening.

I can understanding delay or echo but Is this an indication that phone conversations are recorded ?

Originally posted by css_jay99 View Post
    I used the Tesco mobile app on my Iphone for an international call this morning. 3 minutes into conversation, the call went funny and all of a sudden my conversation was played back right from the start while I was still saying hello hello down the phone to figure out what was happening.

I can understanding delay or echo but Is this an indication that phone conversations are recorded ?
    Interesting point - me and my brother were chatting on PS4 headsets - obviously our phones were within earshot

he then went to google something we were talking about and guess what - 1st answer in google is what he wanted - so yes i think more than just the tesco mobile app it appears phones are always 'listening'......

tin hat time.

Comment

Originally posted by css_jay99 View Post

I saw something about this recently. Can't find it immediately, but it's due to a faulty network connection in the mobile phone operator's system.

Your call goes over a packet switching network (I believe it's all TCP/IP internally nowadays, but I may be wrong), and sometimes an element in the chain will be buffering the audio because it's not getting acknowledgements back from wherever it's sending it to, though the data is actually getting through (i.e. the person on the other end is hearing you).

So just in case it needs to retry, the thingy doesn't clear its buffer for up to several minutes. Then the link finally breaks down completely in a certain way that causes it to attempt to resend all the buffered audio, and you hear everything you just said played back over the line.

So no, Tesco aren't spying on you; the mobile operator who provides their infrastructure just has a network issue.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
        I saw something about this recently. Can't find it immediately, but it's due to a faulty network connection in the mobile phone operator's system.

Your call goes over a packet switching network (I believe it's all TCP/IP internally nowadays, but I may be wrong), and sometimes an element in the chain will be buffering the audio because it's not getting acknowledgements back from wherever it's sending it to, though the data is actually getting through (i.e. the person on the other end is hearing you).

So just in case it needs to retry, the thingy doesn't clear its buffer for up to several minutes. Then the link finally breaks down completely in a certain way that causes it to attempt to resend all the buffered audio, and you hear everything you just said played back over the line.

So no, Tesco aren't spying on you; the mobile operator who provides their infrastructure just has a network issue.
        Not sure we wanted a rationale explanation - just an improved design for tin hats?

But thanks anyway!

Comment

Never mind the tin hat, I'm wrapping my phone in tinfoil.

Well, it is still on Android KitKat.
          Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
            Never mind the tin hat, I'm wrapping my phone in tinfoil.

Well, it is still on Android KitKat.
            Here you go

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post

Your call goes over a packet switching network (I believe it's all TCP/IP internally nowadays, but I may be wrong), and sometimes an element in the chain will be buffering the audio because it's not getting acknowledgements back from wherever it's sending it to GCHQ, ..
              FTFY

Seriously, the OP said it was an international call, and these to and from the UK are all recorded by GCHQ and retained for several months.
              Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Working...
              X