• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

LogMeIn - ripoff merchants!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LogMeIn - ripoff merchants!

First it was free, then it went to something like £72/pa, then last year I was 'upgraded' without being given an option but seemed more or less the same package £209.99. I was quite ill at that time (ie this time last year) and let it slip, now I just got an email for auto-renewal for £299.99!

Fighting fit now - phoned it, cancelled it, told it to feck off....

Team Viewer, Team Viewer, Team Viewer!!

Comment

I have become a big fan of Spashtop, having surrendered to Apple.

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
        First it was free, then it went to something like £72/pa, then last year I was 'upgraded' without being given an option but seemed more or less the same package £209.99. I was quite ill at that time (ie this time last year) and let it slip, now I just got an email for auto-renewal for £299.99!

Fighting fit now - phoned it, cancelled it, told it to feck off....

Team Viewer, Team Viewer, Team Viewer!!
        TeamViewer is £31.90 a month......... I'd prefer to use it as it integrates with Azure/O365 but not at that price.
        See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Set up an OpenVPN server and leave it running as a VM at home. The cost is buttons in the scheme of things and will give you access to your home network securely.

Comment

Could you not just open a port on your router and forward the IP to your PC. Then just use remote desktop?

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
              Could you not just open a port on your router and forward the IP to your PC. Then just use remote desktop?
              I haven't used LogmeIn for ages, just kept forgetting to cancel it.

TW is free for personal use, I have Apple Server at both places, however her in Ireland I have no legal control over the router and some weird UPC thing that doesn't seem to forward/open any ports. Don't want to mess with it even though the admin password is default!

My beef was more about them imcreasing the costs without giving you an opt-out other than cancel now or else...

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
                I haven't used LogmeIn for ages, just kept forgetting to cancel it.

TW is free for personal use, I have Apple Server at both places, however her in Ireland I have no legal control over the router and some weird UPC thing that doesn't seem to forward/open any ports. Don't want to mess with it even though the admin password is default!

My beef was more about them imcreasing the costs without giving you an opt-out other than cancel now or else...
                Say again, you can't change your settings on your router?

Comment

Say again, you can't change your settings on your router?
                  Not the one here in Ireland - where I rent a room. Well I could, but I won't cause it's flakey enough as it is, one of those combined set-top telly/router boxes, landlord always onto UPC (well, Virgin now) complaining about it so I won't touch it.

Teamviewer works fine though without any messing, just it's a bit clunky. Apple Server, for VPN wants either an Airport it can set up itself automagically or a manually opened ports and like I said, I'm not touching it.

Comment

Opening port 3389 to the internet is a very bad idea. If you are desperate enough to need RDP exposed to the internet at least use port redirection from an obscure port number to 3389

Comment

Working...
                    X