• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

1-2 month wait for visa - what would you do?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1-2 month wait for visa - what would you do?

I have been offered a contract in French Polynesia with a former client, duration is at least 12 months. All is rosy apart from a 1-2 month wait for the decision on the visa.

I have always made a point during my contracting career of not leaving a contract early however with a client bailing on a verbal at the beginning of this year that has cost me a month billable, I am wondering how much "loyalty" I have left in me.

I do have an extremely good relationship with the client (no interview required, but I did suggest that I wouldn't mind heading over to interview ) and the role will be there for me if I am awarded the visa, but I can't hold out on 2 months billing.

I am tempted on this occasion to take a contract and then bail if the visa comes through. I am aware that most contractors consider it poor form to do this, as do I, but I find my options limited to absorbing the risk myself or pestering clientco for some work in EU until this happens.

I would be interested to hear from anyone who has been in a similar position as to mine.

What would I do? I'd put a post on an anonymous internet forum asking what I should do but fail to post a whole host of information that would be pertinent to a decision that's worth 100K plus in income.

HTH.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      What would I do? I'd put a post on an anonymous internet forum asking what I should do but fail to post a whole host of information that would be pertinent to a decision that's worth 100K plus in income.

HTH.
      For example?

Comment

Originally posted by clearedforlanding View Post
        For example?
        what nationality are you is a good start.

Assuming British. Why a visa?

Visas
        French Polynesia is an Overseas Collective (Collectivité d’Outre-Mer) of France. If your passport describes you as a British Citizen you will not need a visa to enter French Polynesia. Other British passport holders should check the current entry requirements on the website of the French Ministry of Foreign Affairs, and if necessary confirm with the nearest French Diplomatic mission.
        Working
        British nationals who wish to work in French Polynesia should make enquiries, prior to departure, at the nearest French Consulate.
        https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-ad...y-requirements
        See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
          Dual UK & ES. Visas are mandatory for anyone who does not hold FR.

Comment

I do have an extremely good relationship with the client (no interview required, but I did suggest that I wouldn't mind heading over to interview ) and the role will be there for me if I am awarded the visa, but I can't hold out on 2 months billing.

I am tempted on this occasion to take a contract and then bail if the visa comes through. I am aware that most contractors consider it poor form to do this, as do I, but I find my options limited to absorbing the risk myself or pestering clientco for some work in EU until this happens.

I would be interested to hear from anyone who has been in a similar position as to mine.
            Could you not speak to the client and see if there is anything you can do for the project remotely before you get the visa? Do you know how long it will actually take to get the visa, if it's a month, by the time you get another contract sorted out and get onboarded, the month might have passed anyway (unless you have another one lined up now).

If it's 2 months and you don't have one lined up, you can always apply anyway, and make the decision if you find something. You might find something that is better in the mean time?

Comment

so

I have been offered a contract in French Polynesia with a former client, duration is at least 12 months. All is rosy apart from a 1-2 month wait for the decision on the visa.

I have always made a point during my contracting career of not leaving a contract early however with a client bailing on a verbal at the beginning of this year that has cost me a month billable, I am wondering how much "loyalty" I have left in me.

French Polynesia business visa is not required for citizens of United Kingdom for a stay up to 90 days.

start working on a 90 day contract while your visa is processed

Comment

Dual UK & ES. Visas are mandatory for anyone who does not hold FR.
                what's FR ?
                See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Assuming British. Why a visa?

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-ad...y-requirements
                  Any non FR have to have a visa and prove a contract outside of the country amongst other things.

Comment

Originally posted by doconline View Post
                    Could you not speak to the client and see if there is anything you can do for the project remotely before you get the visa? Do you know how long it will actually take to get the visa, if it's a month, by the time you get another contract sorted out and get onboarded, the month might have passed anyway (unless you have another one lined up now).

If it's 2 months and you don't have one lined up, you can always apply anyway, and make the decision if you find something. You might find something that is better in the mean time?
                    This is is good advice thank you.

Originally posted by tarbera View Post
                    French Polynesia business visa is not required for citizens of United Kingdom for a stay up to 90 days.

start working on a 90 day contract while your visa is processed
                    I'll look into this thank you. I ran into more than enough problems in Aruba doing this. My nerves were shot for 3 months.

what's FR ?
                    Sorry, too long in telecoms. ISO 3166-2 for France.

Comment

Working...
                    X