• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Who puts these people in charge?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who puts these people in charge?

Britain's Road policing chief has called for motorists to be penalised for going 1mph over the speed limit.

Motorists should be penalised for going just 1mph over the speed limit, Britain’s road policing chief says

1 mph over 70 mph is 1.4%. Does it not occur to him that speedometers, and probably speed cameras, may not be that accurate? This could result in huge numbers of motorists who intended to keep to the speed limit being penalised and, possibly, huge numbers who actually did being penalised as well! Another problem is that most speed indicators are dial types and a quick glance might not be enough to ensure you are observing the limit. Drivers nervously checking their speedometers constantly are likely to have more accidents, not less.

Maybe he thinks we should spend umpteen billions upgrading all cars and speed cameras to the required visibility and accuracy and millions more every year doing checks on them! He's probably a Corybn supporter. Magic money tree.
    Last edited by xoggoth; 31 January 2018, 16:31.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    1 mph over 70 mph is 1.4%. Does it not occur to him that speedometers, and probably speed cameras, may not be that accurate?
    By law speedometers may not read high. If you've ever used a GPS or had your speed clocked, you'll know that your speedo speed is around 10% below your actual speed - which has been the case if every car I've driven. So if your speedo reads 70 and the speed limit is 70, you're safe.

The latest speed cameras are that accurate.

In Switzerland, to cope with the inaccuracy of speed cameras, they took your recorded speed and then deducted a %age - this was important as the amount you're over determines the fine - 40CHF, 120CHF, 250CHF, court decision. As speed camera accuracy has improved, so that %age leeway has reduced.

Where it really hurts is in a 30km/h limit.

Another problem is that most speed indicators are dial types and a quick glance might not be enough to ensure you are observing the limit.
    People have been raising that issue since speed cameras were first used. If you can't maintain a constant speed without checking your speedo every 2 seconds, then get off the road. Coupled with the fact of speedos reading low, it's not an issue if you drift slightly over the indicated maximum.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Britain's Road policing chief has called for motorists to be penalised for going 1mph over the speed limit.

Comment

Motorists should be penalised for going just 1mph over the speed limit, Britain’s road policing chief says

1 mph over 70 mph is 1.4%. Does it not occur to him that speedometers, and probably speed cameras, may not be that accurate? This could result in huge numbers of motorists who intended to keep to the speed limit being penalised and, possibly, huge numbers who actually did being penalised as well! Another problem is that most speed indicators are dial types and a quick glance might not be enough to ensure you are observing the limit. Drivers nervously checking their speedometers constantly are likely to have more accidents, not less.

Maybe he thinks we should spend umpteen billions upgrading all cars and speed cameras to the required visibility and accuracy and millions more every year doing checks on them! He's probably a Corybn supporter. Magic money tree.
        Don't worry May will find a billion to pay for it in return for propping up her tory house of cards

Comment

some years ago a Police Chief said publicly that they don't prosecute anyone unless they're 10% over. That may be a pragmatic view and enforceable practically but it has one major issue.

The law says the speed limit is 70mph and it's not for the police to say it's 77mph

How can you possibly suggest that parliament should set a limit and it is then basically ignored?
          See You Next Tuesday

Comment

All this rubbish about how awful speed cameras are. It's not the cameras... it's the limits. Give me a stretch of unrestricted autobahn any time!
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Litigation/ Intent to prosecute issue

I wonder what will happen if everyone that got a notice of intent to prosecute went to the magistrate to either challenge the speed gun or requested all the paperwork and calibration certificates for the device they got caught on.... I just wonder!?

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                All this rubbish about how awful speed cameras are. It's not the cameras... it's the limits. Give me a stretch of unrestricted autobahn any time!
                All roads leads to Ausfahrt.....

Comment

Originally posted by JIDEARE View Post
                  I wonder what will happen if everyone that got a notice of intent to prosecute went to the magistrate to either challenge the speed gun or requested all the paperwork and calibration certificates for the device they got caught on.... I just wonder!?
                  Lots of people would be fined many more hundreds of pounds, have more than 3 points added, and pay the court costs.
                  Magistrates aren't there to make the life of a willing lawbreaker easier.
                  See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                    By law speedometers may not read high. If you've ever used a GPS or had your speed clocked, you'll know that your speedo speed is around 10% below your actual speed - which has been the case if every car I've driven. So if your speedo reads 70 and the speed limit is 70, you're safe.

The latest speed cameras are that accurate.

In Switzerland, to cope with the inaccuracy of speed cameras, they took your recorded speed and then deducted a %age - this was important as the amount you're over determines the fine - 40CHF, 120CHF, 250CHF, court decision. As speed camera accuracy has improved, so that %age leeway has reduced.

Where it really hurts is in a 30km/h limit.

People have been raising that issue since speed cameras were first used. If you can't maintain a constant speed without checking your speedo every 2 seconds, then get off the road. Coupled with the fact of speedos reading low, it's not an issue if you drift slightly over the indicated maximum.
                    I think it's quite difficult to maintain a constant speed limit, to 1 mph, without checking your dial. When I'm eating and chatting away on my mobile not sure how you can expect me to monitor my speed as well??

Regardless, speed cameras are crap. The people that do the same route each day know it and just slow down for the camera then speed up. So you catch the unexpected driver, who slams on their brakes when they see the camera.

I imagine we will be seeing more and more average speed cameras over time though.

Comment

Working...
                    X