• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Greedy boomers

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Greedy boomers

https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/ba...000100980.html

Baby boomers born between 1946 and 1966 are set to receive over 20% more in support than they will have contributed in taxes over the course of their lives, the report said.
    http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Is that not because back in the 60' and 70's people were earning 1 and sixpence a week but now a packet of Aspirin cost twice that?

Comment

I know. We are a bunch of lucky gits, aren’t we?

(Said as she counts down to retirement.)
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
        I know. We are a bunch of lucky gits, aren’t we?

(Said as she counts down to retirement.)
        I'm Generation X. 5% gain for me. Not too bad I suppose. But it's not surprising, since the current generation pays for the two generations ago welfare, and there's been quite a demographic change. I'm not sure why benefitting from happenstance means that someone is "greedy".
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
          I'm Generation X. 5% gain for me. Not too bad I suppose. But it's not surprising, since the current generation pays for the two generations ago welfare, and there's been quite a demographic change. I'm not sure why benefitting from happenstance means that someone is "greedy".
          greedy
          ˈɡriːdi/Submit
          adjective
          having an excessive desire or appetite for food.
          "he's scoffed the lot, the greedy pig"
          synonyms:gluttonous, ravenous, ravening, voracious, gourmandizing, gourmand, intemperate, self-indulgent, insatiable, insatiate, wolfish, gannet-like; More
          having or showing an intense and selfish desire for wealth or power.
          "people driven from their land by greedy developers"
          synonyms:avaricious, acquisitive, covetous, rapacious, grasping, venal, cupidinous, materialistic, mercenary, predatory, usurious, possessive; More
          http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Have no fear, Corbyn is coming and he will be redistributing the "Boomers" wealth.

I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
              Have no fear, Corbyn is coming and he will be redistributing the "Boomers" wealth.

hmmm....

Once he realises he can't get at easy evil wealth, he's coming for houses and pensions as that is where the wealth is.
              Beware wealth taxes.
              Although he could claim to do as you say, wait 15 years and a couple of harsh winters and job's done anyway.
              See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
                hmmm....

Once he realises he can't get at easy evil wealth, he's coming for houses and pensions as that is where the wealth is. ...
                But don't forget a good proportion of the younger populace expect inheritances from their boomer parents, and they will be (correctly) thinking exactly that about Corbyn & co.

So it's far from a foregone conclusion that everyone aged under, say, 50 will be rooting for Labour so they can get their hands on largesse redistributed from old timers if they have to share this with everyone else and in practice barely see a penny of it!
                Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

I think it's fair to say though that my Mum/Dads generation suffered poverty that is rarely seen in the UK. So, perhaps it's good that society is giving them something back.

Comment

What would have happened if Thatcher had lost in '79 ?

I dunno, but maybe:

- Winter of discontent continued for 5 years
                    - Sinclair ZX80, 81 and Spectrum never launched
                    - no home computer boom in the UK
                    - no CUK forum?

On the other hand:

- no North/South divide
                    - North is rich.
                    - South is less crowded and horrible

Comment

Working...
                    X