• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

It's becasue they are worth it!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's becasue they are worth it!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/6205852.stm

Anger at MPs' '66% pay rise call'

Some MPs are said to be calling for a 66% pay rise
    MPs have been criticised after reports some are calling for a 66% pay rise, taking salaries to £100,000 a year.
    MPs are reported to have written to the Senior Salaries Review Board saying the rise is needed to bring them into line with senior civil servants and GPs.

GMB union chief Paul Kenny condemned the news at a time when low-paid public workers' pay rises are capped at 3%.

In August Tony Blair said politicians' salaries should no longer be linked to senior civil servants' pay packets.

The Sunday Times reported that some Labour and Conservative MPs had written to the Senior Salaries Review Board calling for the increase to their £60,277 annual salary.

'Pay them more'

Former Conservative MP Michael Portillo told the BBC MPs who could earn more than the £60,000 salary privately, would go out and do so.

"And then people get upset that they are doing more than one job - then that's going to be a problem," he said.

"If you want MPs to live on their MPs' salary you are probably going to have to pay them more."

Is it any wonder that people are cynical about politicians?

Paul Kenny
    GMB general secretary

Send us your comments

Liberal Democrat MP Nick Harvey said such a large increase was not justified, but denied that the long summer recess meant MPs did not work hard.

"None of them, I reckon, would be working less than about a 70 hour week - even the ones I haven't the highest admiration for."

MPs' pay has been linked to the salaries of senior civil servants since 1996, as well as being reviewed every three years.

COMMONS SALARIES
    MP - £60,277
    Minister of state - £99,908
    Opposition leader - £130, 312
    Cabinet minister - £136, 677
    Prime minister - £187, 611

But in August Mr Blair called for that to be changed, as higher pay offers were now being used to recruit senior civil servants.

GMB general secretary Paul Kenny condemned the MPs' claim saying: "These are the same people who protected their own pension scheme but cut the pensions of the lowest-paid public sector workers."

He added: "Is it any wonder that people are cynical about politicians? They are out to lunch and they want someone else to pay."

Blair Gibbs, of the Taxpayers' Alliance agreed, saying it showed MPs were out of touch.

"At a time of disillusionment with mainstream politicians I don't think this is the answer. I don't think we want 659 people in Parliament, on those green benches, just there because it pays well."

In October it was revealed that average expenses and allowances claims had hit £86.8m, or an average of £131,000 per MP.
    Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Originally posted by TonyEnglish
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/6205852.stm
    The Sunday Times reported that some Labour and Conservative MPs had written to the Senior Salaries Review Board calling for the increase to their £60,277 annual salary.

'Pay them more'

COMMONS SALARIES
    MP - £60,277
    Minister of state - £99,908
    Opposition leader - £130, 312
    Cabinet minister - £136, 677
    Prime minister - £187, 611
    Nice to know i'm worth more than a MP, getting close to the Minister of State

Comment

Disgusting. My salary is barely above minimum wage, and Prime Minister is on close to £200K!

One rule for them and one for the rest of us.

PS

Comment

Originally posted by Hart-floot

Nice to know i'm worth more than a MP, getting close to the Minister of State

I was just thinking that!!

No wonder they all take bungs, paupers!
        The pope is a tard.

Comment

In October it was revealed that average expenses and allowances claims had hit £86.8m, or an average of £131,000 per MP.
          They must go thru P4

Comment

I don't know, £100k per year and £131k in expenses - £231k per year. I don't know about you, but I don't get almost 4.5k per week. And this is for a bog standard MP.
            Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

I don't know, £100k per year and £131k in expenses - £231k per year. I don't know about you, but I don't get almost 4.5k per week. And this is for a bog standard MP.

you wanna be in .Net...

Milan
              Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Agreed - i get no expenses (IR35 ) and dont get an inflation-proofed pension Bliar's work's out at 25K per year

Comment

Feck me...

My first job wa working as a labourer on a building site. I got £5/hour for 84 horus a week (7 days, 12 hours a day).

Now are they seriously trying to tell me that an MP kissing babies, visiting tulip and shaking hands at 70 hours a week (probably 50% of theat being spent driven around) is hard work.

****ers.

Comment

Working...
                  X