• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ltd corp tax rollover/reclaim over multiple accountancy years

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ltd corp tax rollover/reclaim over multiple accountancy years

Hi,

I run a business with two revenue streams, one is I.T contracting the other is in manufacturing. The latter doesn't pay so well but is growing.

During one accountancy year I had a surplus of revenue and paid 20% corporation tax on it. A few month later I would ideally have used this money (+ the 20%) on manufacturing side costs. I wasn't in a position to do this before the accountancy year was due.

It doesn't appear tax efficient to use this taxed revenue for costs, I might as well use it for a dividend and only use new money that comes in after the accountancy period. I'm pretty sure I'm missing something here, can someone explain options?

Regards, Andrew

Originally posted by snoopy20 View Post
    Hi,

I run a business with two revenue streams, one is I.T contracting the other is in manufacturing. The latter doesn't pay so well but is growing.

During one accountancy year I had a surplus of revenue and paid 20% corporation tax on it. A few month later I would ideally have used this money (+ the 20%) on manufacturing side costs. I wasn't in a position to do this before the accountancy year was due.

It doesn't appear tax efficient to use this taxed revenue for costs, I might as well use it for a dividend and only use new money that comes in after the accountancy period. I'm pretty sure I'm missing something here, can someone explain options?

Regards, Andrew
    I think you are getting confused, if you made £10k profit (revenue > spending) in year 1 and pay £2000 corporation tax, then make a £10k loss in year 2 (spending > revenue) you can claim (some of*) the CT you paid in year 1 back. So other than cashflow, there should be no reason not to spend "taxed revenue" on costs, it will all balance

(*the corporation tax %s may change in between years)

Comment

This is what I thought, I just don't understand the process fully.

So if I make 10k and pay 2k tax, leaving 8k, then I spend 10k the next financial year leaving -2k, which I claim back, then the 2k difference has to be by some way of loan until the corp tax is recovered. Is this right? I'd bee happy to loan the company 2k at 0% if that's the simplest way.

Thanks!

Andrew

Comment

This is what I thought, I just don't understand the process fully.
        Get an accountant.
        See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Do you pay yourself around 8k and the rest dividends?
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

It would be great if d**k head comments can be avoided and sticking to the question at hand. PAYE and dividends are irrelevant here.

Thanks PR1 for a solid answer.

Comment

It would be great if d**k head comments can be avoided and sticking to the question at hand. PAYE and dividends are irrelevant here.

Thanks PR1 for a solid answer.
              Hi Andrew,

If you don’t understand your situation, and are advised to get an accountant, that is good advice.

If you suggest that the person advising that is a dickhead, then you are a ******* tool.

Yours sincerely,
              dickhead
              See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
                Get an accountant.
                This is the best advice you can get. As you already admitted you don’t understand the process so precessional advice should be sought.

Getting annoyed that people aren’t telling you exactly what you need for free is a bit of a knob move.

Comment

Working...
                X