• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BOOM! New Contract in the City

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For almost (but not quite) double the day rate of my first contract at the airport I will have spent a whole week on the bench between gigs. It's my first ever time commuting to London, any seasoned vets have any pearls of wisdom they'd care to share?!

Where are you coming from ?

London was at a standstill today with people coming in 3 hours late because or the trains and underground ?

Ohh and welcome to the living wage
    Last edited by tarbera; 8 February 2018, 17:13.

Comment

Personally, I like a good sit down on the bench between contracts. 3 or 4 months after a 12 months+ gig is ideal, but fate plays a hand.

Comment

Basingstoke - so not too bad. 45-50 mins on the train and then a 15-20 minute walk to the office

Comment

Originally posted by unixman View Post
          Personally, I like a good sit down on the bench between contracts. 3 or 4 months after a 12 months+ gig is ideal, but fate plays a hand.
          Not even been in the game for 12 months yet fella, hoping that after this one I'll get a decent seat on the pine pony.

Comment

Originally posted by mattfx View Post
            For almost (but not quite) double the day rate of my first contract at the airport I will have spent a whole week on the bench between gigs. It's my first ever time commuting to London, any seasoned vets have any pearls of wisdom they'd care to share?!
            EDIT: Didn't read thread...

Comment

Comment

Basingstoke - so not too bad. 45-50 mins on the train and then a 15-20 minute walk to the office

I commute on the same line into Waterloo but get on further out. Been doing it for 18 years. Plenty of trains from Basingstoke, you might not always get a seat though and although the trains are nowhere as bad as Southern you'll end up cursing a couple of times a month.

Things that will get on your nerves; guards with never ending announcements who think they're comedians, day trippers, loud people in the quiet zone, people who eat smelly food, people who nick your elbow or knee room.

My advice, use the train time to catch up on iPlayer, read, learn a language etc and ignore your surroundings totally. Don't get stressed over things you cannot change and you'll learn to love it......
                ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Great BOOM - well done
                  Enjoy London Town.

Comment

How about basingstoke end? I did this sort of jourmey (not london) for a few years. Sucks the life out of you eventually. Long days.
                    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X