• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Fuxley Engineering

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuxley Engineering

New on here but have been contracting for 11 years.

Recently had my second tulipty experience of Fuxley. I am sure this is all too familiar for many of you....

First was 4/5 years ago where they tried to (and did initially) take a mark up of 50% on a contract and I was lied to by the Consultant. He tried to put pressure on me to drop my rate and accept quickly because “they were also interested in another two candidates”. I had a friend in the business and also knew the Director who interviewed me. They confirmed this was a pack of lies, I was the preferred candidate and there was no-one else.
    Walked away in the first week when I realised what was happening. The client wasn't too happy with Fuxley either.

Therefore I was wary about dealing with them again and I normally don’t return their incessant fishing calls or emails.

Recently finished a contract and was looking around for something around 3-6 months, when a recruiter from Fuxley Manchester called about a role on the South Coast. I wouldn't normally entertain them but gave the benefit of the doubt...

Agreed a fairly lower than normal day rate of £360 which she said was achievable. She wouldn't give me any details about the client until 30 minutes before the first telephone interview.
    That went well so arranged a face to face interview with the client.
    She then rang a day later to "confirm"..... she kept stressing that it was their policy for candidates not to discuss rates and I must leave it to her.
    I was driving down for face to face interview (approx 3 hours) and had a call at 7.30am, on the pretext of asking if everything was OK but in reality, she just kept repeating to me that I wasn’t to discuss rates.

I was dubious and that’s why I told the client of my suspicions. At the interview, I was up front and said I had talked to Fuxley about a rate to me of £360 per day. The client was fine with that and indicated to me that I had the contract subject to commercial terms with Fuxley.

Fuxley went to the client with a rate of £450 per day. They said this was non-negotiable.

Fuxley then came back to me and basically said the client had reconsidered and now only wanted to pay an hourly rate, wouldn’t go above £35 per hour and that they were very interested in another candidate who had come in at a much lower rate than me. She also said that this was restricted to a 37 hour week which works out at £259 per day. She also said “But there will be many more hours available when you are in the Midlands (2nd part of contract)”. She said there was no movement on this which was strange as she had previously indicated £360 per day was achievable. She also then mentioned the monthly (30 days in arrears) payment terms which would have meant working two months before seeing a penny.

The client confirmed that there was no one else, they wanted me and were considering the £450 a day. We also looked at alternative options but there was a £30k finders fee in the documentation Fuxley had sent, even though the client had never signed it. Fuxley had found my CV on Jobsite and just forwarded it on.

That meant they were trying to make £191 per day from me, all for just downloading my CV from a widely available jobsite board which most contractors use. I make that a mark up of roughly 73%.

The client was actually considering paying this shower of tulipe but I walked away as it was getting ridiculous.

I still get the phishing calls (the last pimp
    asked for my last 6 contracts and who I was reporting to there ) and emails which I occassionally take just to wind them up but I would never entertain dealing with them ever again.

Why did you go any further than
    'Agreed a fairly lower than normal day rate of £360' if you knew they had form???

People like these can only peddle their crap while there is some eejit who will entertain them.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bovine View Post
      I would never entertain dealing with them ever again.
      If this is your worst experience with agencies after contracting for eleven years, I'd say you've been pretty fortunate.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        Why did you go any further than
        'Agreed a fairly lower than normal day rate of £360' if you knew they had form???

People like these can only peddle their crap while there is some eejit who will entertain them.
        I can assure you I am no eejit. Sometimes it's down to individual recruiters not the company but it appears endemic in Fuxley and it was five years on.

Comment

Originally posted by Bovine View Post
          First was 4/5 years ago where they tried to (and did initially) take a mark up of 50% on a contract and I was lied to by the Consultant. He tried to put pressure on me to drop my rate and accept quickly because “they were also interested in another two candidates”. I had a friend in the business and also knew the Director who interviewed me. They confirmed this was a pack of lies, I was the preferred candidate and there was no-one else.
          Walked away in the first week when I realised what was happening. The client wasn't too happy with Fuxley either.
          Why did you give them right to represent you to a client that you had friends and contacts in? Instead of approaching said friends/contacts first and either go direct or through an agency on a fixed margin?

Presumably you were happy and agreed on a rate and signed the contract. Why trowing your toys out of the pram after 1 week, just because the agent is ripping the client off? Instead of asking the client to put pressure on the agency to lower their margins?

Comment

Working...
          X