• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

TOIL On-call - 1 day

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TOIL On-call - 1 day

So what would you all do it for?

No payment on offer just TOIL for being on call. Yes I know TOIL but Im inside IR35 PS anyway so no issues.

Client initially talked about 1/2 day per week which I thought was crap but is now offering 1 day for a 7 day oncall week. Not so bad but not brilliant. Not many calls though to be honest.

Of course, you've got to count the goodwill garnered by agreeing to do this or the negative vibes that would come from saying no.

Anyone else similar?
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    Anyone else similar?
    You mean a failed contractor on an inside gig not being able to make a decision for themselves? Nope I am sure there isn't....

But IMO there isn't enough information here. You mention not many calls. What does that mean? Impact when there is a call, how valuable is the time off to you, what is your personal attitude to your work etc etc. Hard to answer in any way that's useful to you TBH
    Last edited by northernladuk; 16 February 2018, 12:45.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      You mean a failed contractor on an inside gig not being able to make a decision for themselves? Nope I am sure there isn't....

But IMO there isn't enough information here. You mention not many calls. What does that mean? Impact when there is a call, how valuable is the time off to you, what is your personal attitude to your work etc etc. Hard to answer in any way that's useful to you TBH
      Of course Im nowhere near as important as you NLUK. There happy now?

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

What do you need to do and how often? If you're doing less than a days worth of work then do it. If it's going to interrupt family time then don't.

For me I'd do it to have a longer holiday

Comment

In terms of cash, most places seem to have some arrangement where you get [x] for merely existing on-call and then [y] for when you're actually taking a call.

Why not offer something similar. You get 1/2 day for each week of being on call (I've not actually thought about the numbers here - you work out if it's worth while) and then straight TOIL or x1.5/x2 (Depending on what you think you can get away with) for each call you take, based on a 15 or 30 minute resolution.

I've just realised that I've never been on-call in my entire career with the exception of a permie job that classified not having to go in over the Christmas break as "on call"

Comment

So what would you all do it for?

No payment on offer just TOIL for being on call. Yes I know TOIL but Im inside IR35 PS anyway so no issues.

Client initially talked about 1/2 day per week which I thought was crap but is now offering 1 day for a 7 day oncall week. Not so bad but not brilliant. Not many calls though to be honest.

Of course, you've got to count the goodwill garnered by agreeing to do this or the negative vibes that would come from saying no.

Anyone else similar?
            Just say no, you're not a permie who cares about goodwill it's either in the contract or it isn't.
            In Scooter we trust

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
              In terms of cash, most places seem to have some arrangement where you get [x] for merely existing on-call and then [y] for when you're actually taking a call.

Why not offer something similar. You get 1/2 day for each week of being on call (I've not actually thought about the numbers here - you work out if it's worth while) and then straight TOIL or x1.5/x2 (Depending on what you think you can get away with) for each call you take, based on a 15 or 30 minute resolution.

I've just realised that I've never been on-call in my entire career with the exception of a permie job that classified not having to go in over the Christmas break as "on call"
              Aye thats it - they're offering 1x day TOIL per week on call. Plus as you say multiples for more more.

Comment

Aye thats it - they're offering 1x day TOIL per week on call. Plus as you say multiples for more more.
                That doesn't sound too bad to me, personally - especially if calls are few.

Comment

Originally posted by The Spartan View Post
                  Just say no, you're not a permie who cares about goodwill it's either in the contract or it isn't.
                  Ha ha you mercenary bugger Spartie! No I'm not THAT bothered about goodwill and won't do anything for free. But there is some benefit to not being an awkward PITA if you fancy a few extensions. Wouldn't put myself out too much of course.

But seems like a good deal to me initially. It is, after all, in effect an extra 1.5 days per month billed (1 week in 3). Of course, for someone who never takes holidays and works 50 weeks a year its not so good.

Comment

Ha ha you mercenary bugger Spartie! No I'm not THAT bothered about goodwill and won't do anything for free. But there is some benefit to not being an awkward PITA if you fancy a few extensions. Wouldn't put myself out too much of course.

But seems like a good deal to me initially. It is, after all, in effect an extra 1.5 days per month billed (1 week in 3). Of course, for someone who never takes holidays and works 50 weeks a year its not so good.
                    Hahaha you know me, Christ I bet I know the majority of the people you're working with there "Dead man's boots" comes to mind with that place.
                    In Scooter we trust

Comment

Working...
                    X