• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Deferring dividends + Changing tax residency

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deferring dividends + Changing tax residency

Hi,

I got my first ever contract work in UK (yay!) and am trying to do a bit of tax planning. One idea is to simply defer paying myself, i.e.
    • paying myself only what is needed to live on
    • under a pessimistic view, assume that I wouldn't find another contract when this expires
    • move back to my birth country, where there's no dividend tax, and pay out everything in the company as dividends (I have permanent residency in UK, but no ties otherwise.)

I'm guessing I'm not the first to come up with this. Not sure if there are any obvious issues? Are there any tax advisors you can recommend to run this by them?

Hm... not got a reply... Not sure if no one knows the answer, the answer is too obvious... or.. ?

Comment

Provided you have actually ceased to be tax resident in the uk that should be fine from the uk end. Ceasing to be tax resident may be harder than you think.

Returnin within 5 yearshas an impact. I.e. pay up.

Comment

You may as well max out the 7.5% band and leave the rest in the company if you don't need more, whether going to another country or not, who knows what the tax rate will be in the future.

Comment

Bear in mind that deferring dividends will only be tax efficient for so long. i.e. The tax is due for the tax year the dividend was declared within even if you don't actually receive payment personally until sometime in the future.

So deferring beyond a tax year boundary may cause issues with breaking into higher tax bands if you need more out later and don't declare them early enough.
          Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

It seems drawing a salary just below the NI threshold (8424 for 2018/19) and dividends within the lower limit (36,500) would be a good idea, even if I were to leave the country. Kinda maximizes the withdrawal from the company, and minimizes potential future taxation risks...

Okay, sounds like one thing checked off my list. Thanks guys!

Comment

Working...
            X