• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Nightmare tenant neighbour to a BTL

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nightmare tenant neighbour to a BTL

We bought an apartment in a lovely Cornish village to use as a FHL (holiday let) a year ago. It's a village I know very well and a great apartment, with a serious fly in the ointment... the guy upstairs.

He wasn't there when we bought the place and somehow tricked his landlord into believing he was a normal guy, but over the last year has gone from eccentric to offensive and borderline dangerous - he's had the police round again and again for playing incredibly loud music all night, has verbally threatened to kill neighbours, etc. Clearly mentally disturbed but something has sent him off the rails from weird to scary to the point he is notorious in the village.
    The worst thing is we have communal access to our flat and his, so he can (and does) corner the tenant as they try to come and go. They have now left and the agent is unwilling (rightly) to advertise the place until he goes.

His landlord has been sympathetic and gradually escalated letters of warning, end of tenancy, and possession notice all to no avail. He said he was going to start formal eviction rolling at Christmas but has not done so and is now claiming the guy wants to leave and it'll be easier to wait it out - I have no trust in this at all. I'm sure he wants the guy out, but doesn't want to pay the fees - meanwhile I am out more than that already in lost income with no end in sight.

The flats are leased as part of a small company owned by the landlords and managed by an external company. I wondered if there is likely to be some way to force his hand - "bringing the property into disrepute" or similar? The tenant has violated many rules the owners have contractually agreed to follow so is it likely we might be able to insist he removes the tenant?
    If not, is there anything I can do beyond keep pestering him? I don't want to start a legal war as I'd rather get on with the other owners and he seems on OK guy, but it's reaching the point I start to doubt anything is going to happen.
    Last edited by d000hg; 27 February 2018, 00:41.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Unfortunate. Is there a covenant of some description? Is your fellow owner in breach of it? That would be your best course of action IMHO. No sense in messing about.
    ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Offer to buy the place, when it's vacant.
      Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Baseball bat and knee caps.

Guy will continue to act like that until he is taught it is not acceptable.

Comment

Shauny is just up the road. Pay him to move into your flat and that should drive the other guy out.

Alternatively seek legal advice.

Comment

IMO. Get all your paperwork to a solicitor to check for any clause that might help you and then get them to write a letter to the correct people. Just complaining to people that can't do anything won't help. People tend to sit up and take notice when a proper letter comes from a legal body citing the exact situation in no uncertain terms.

Nothing will happen quickly as I expect he will not move whatever the legal recourse is but I'd go in fast and hard with the legal route. Might cost a couple of quid but an empty property will cost more.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Cornish village

Cornish village and mental people - Well I never !!!

Take it as a blessing he has not stabbed you yet, sounds like a keeper to me.

Alternatively a few bricks through the windows will soon get the landlord moving

Comment

Originally posted by tarbera View Post
                Cornish village and mental people - Well I never !!!

Take it as a blessing he has not stabbed you yet, sounds like a keeper to me.

Alternatively a few bricks through the windows will soon get the police moving
                FTFY
                See You Next Tuesday

Comment

I thought one way fishing trips were the standard Cornish solution to this problem.
                  Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

I saw that drama too. Rogue Mi6 officer in the top seat playing the game on both sides, an independent intelligence group recruit ex-marine from abroad and place him in Cornwall to beef up the criminal record by making a name for himself. Then he's ready to infiltrate the protagonist's home and business, burn it down from the inside.

Check for military record, if true, he'll be gone soon. Probably using a false name.
                    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                    X