• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Temporary Car Insurance

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Temporary Car Insurance

Has anyone every got temporary car insurance, for say 30 days or something?
    If so whats a good company to use?

Reason being. My car insurance is up for renewal end of march. I have 3 points on my license that will come off end of April.
    If I renew end of March I have to put down the 3 points but if I just get 30 day insurance, wait till end of April to get full insurance then I dont need to put down the points.

Hopefully should bring my renewal down a bit

Originally posted by wparkar View Post

Reason being. My car insurance is up for renewal end of march. I have 3 points on my license that will come off end of April.
    If I renew end of March I have to put down the 3 points but if I just get 30 day insurance, wait till end of April to get full insurance then I dont need to put down the points.

Ignore this.
    I just found that confused.com do a comparison for short term insurance.
    £300 for 1 month!!!!!!!!!!!!.....no thank you!
    Last edited by MonkeysUncle; 27 February 2018, 11:38. Reason: typo

Comment

Yes, you can get temporary insurance, but they charge quite a bit for it, e.g. Admiral 30 day cover is around £240.
      https://www.veygo.com/temporary-car-insurance/

There's plenty of others out there. The question is whether you would save that much by having the points off your licence.
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

buy insurance and then cancel it.
        See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Points coming off your licence (4 years) doesn't really matter. They'll ask you if you have any accidents or convictions in the last FIVE years when you renew.

Does that also mean you haven't told your current insurer about your points ??
          When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Ignore this.
            I just found that confused.com do a comparison for short term insurance.
            £300 for 1 month!!!!!!!!!!!!.....no thank you!
            Honestly.. What did you expect?
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              Honestly.. What did you expect?
              Not £300 to be honest. Maybe naivety on my part but I thought if it costs £100 for a month but saved me £200 overall, thats not bad. My car insurance for a year is only about £600 (expected without points) so didn't expect a month to be half that.

@ TestMangler - Current insurers do have it recorded, and this is the 5th year, the removal date as per DVLA website is end of April. The points are currently expired but not yet removed (whatever the hell that means).

Comment

The points are currently expired but not yet removed (whatever the hell that means).
                It means they don't count towards a ban from totting.
                See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Buy a car from a car supermarket. Enjoy the 5 day drive away insurance. Take it back for something spurious. Rinse and repeat.

Or cycle. Don't let the snow bother you.

Comment

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
                    Points coming off your licence (4 years) doesn't really matter. They'll ask you if you have any accidents or convictions in the last FIVE years when you renew.

Does that also mean you haven't told your current insurer about your points ??
                    Actually some insurers do 3 years for accidents.

Though what you tend to find it makes no damn difference about whether they give you a better price or not as if you fit their target market your premium will be lower.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                    X