• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contracting for a company based in US remotely

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contracting for a company based in US remotely

Hi,

I'm looking into contracting, there is a lot of remote work available for my area expertise (especially in US). Whilst I wouldn't want to move there - is it possible to set up my company in UK and work for a US based company whilst working from home remotely?

Thank you!

Originally posted by cannon999 View Post
    is it possible to set up my company in UK and work for a US based company whilst working from home remotely?
    Theoretically, yes.

Comment

Hi,

I'm looking into contracting, there is a lot of remote work available for my area expertise (especially in US). Whilst I wouldn't want to move there - is it possible to set up my company in UK and work for a US based company whilst working from home remotely?

Thank you!
      You're asking the easy (wrong) question. Of course it is possible.

The more difficult question is can you find a US company willing to import your services?
      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
        You're asking the easy (wrong) question. Of course it is possible.

The more difficult question is can you find a US company willing to import your services?
        If they are looking for remote developers then I suppose they don't care where they come from?

Comment

If they are looking for remote developers then I suppose they don't care where they come from?
          They absolutely do care - even as a supplier, its very possible that you're a lot more expensive and more hassle to on-board if you're based in another country, regardless of working remotely.

Comment

Originally posted by Spikeh View Post
            They absolutely do care - even as a supplier, its very possible that you're a lot more expensive and more hassle to on-board if you're based in another country, regardless of working remotely.
            yep. Insurance. Legality. Jurisdiction. Payment. and on and on. It's a long list.
            See You Next Tuesday

Comment

I did this for a while. Had a contract under US jurisdiction which makes PI insurance very expensive. Sadly TCS were imported and my work dried up

Comment

Originally posted by Manic View Post
                I did this for a while. Had a contract under US jurisdiction which makes PI insurance very expensive. Sadly TCS were imported and my work dried up
                How expensive are we talking about?

Comment

How expensive are we talking about?
                  how much cover does your client need you to have?

Here's an idea.
                  Step 1 - find a US client who'll use you
                  Step 2 - worry about the rest of the stuff as it's very unlikely you'll complete step 1 (not impossible but you're putting the cart well before the horse IMO).
                  See You Next Tuesday

Comment

It's easy. I've done this for the last 12 years.

Comment

Working...
                    X