• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Getting roped into a permie's disciplinary

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting roped into a permie's disciplinary

On my current gig a work experience kid has put in a grievance with HR about the guy who signs my time sheets (who's 2 levels above the kid). Think HR will want to speak with everyone, including contractors, who works with the two parties.

As a contractor, I would obviously have only good things to say about the timesheet signer but would hate to be involved with this. It won't go anywhere as the guy is well thought of and the kid is a bit of a fanny (many suspect the grievance is to cover poor performance which will affect his uni scores).

What's the best way to avoid any involvement while ensuring possible extensions are not endangered? IR35 is the obvious one, but anything else?

cheers
    LA

Decline any request for HR chit-chat with a polite "I've nothing to say on the matter".

Comment

Just point out as a supplier it would be improper for you to be involved in internal grievance procedures. They should understand. Most clients won't give references because you are a supplier so they can't have their cake and eat it.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Time sheet signer is god

Kid won't pay your bills

Comment

You're not an employee, so you are well within your rights to decline any work requests (i.e. any requests a client makes of your time) that you aren't comfortable performing. This is no different - they're paying you to provide a service for a distinct period of time on a distinct project, NOT to get involved with internal politics.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            Just point out as a supplier it would be improper for you to be involved in internal grievance procedures. They should understand. Most clients won't give references because you are a supplier so they can't have their cake and eat it.
            Agreed. And if they've got anything about them they should also realise that involving a 3rd party in such a matter could actually back fire on them if it ever went any further.

Comment

Originally posted by Ltd ability View Post
              On my current gig a work experience kid has put in a grievance with HR about the guy who signs my time sheets (who's 2 levels above the kid). Think HR will want to speak with everyone, including contractors, who works with the two parties.

As a contractor, I would obviously have only good things to say about the timesheet signer but would hate to be involved with this. It won't go anywhere as the guy is well thought of and the kid is a bit of a fanny (many suspect the grievance is to cover poor performance which will affect his uni scores).

What's the best way to avoid any involvement while ensuring possible extensions are not endangered? IR35 is the obvious one, but anything else?

cheers
              LA
              There are some limited circumstances where I might get involved - if it was a direct witness to a serious matter (e.g. assault, sexual harassment, serious safety breach) - but otherwise, as advised elsewhere, I would probably drop an email about not getting involved.

Comment

Cheers guys, some good pointers on how to side step this. Will see if i can head this off before HR come to me with a quiet word with someone

Comment

Originally posted by Ltd ability View Post
                  Cheers guys, some good pointers on how to side step this. Will see if i can head this off before HR come to me with a quiet word with someone
                  I actually wouldn't say or do anything until approached. Just don't get involved and pull the "Sorry, but it really wouldn't be appropriate for me to comment on an internal HR matter and could be legally detrimental for both of us if I were to do so" line

Comment

On second thoughts, you could say it is outside of the terms of your contracted engagement, and then quote them a monkey for this one off deliverable.

Comment

Working...
                    X