• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Trump's plan to stoke inflation

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trump's plan to stoke inflation

Combination of tax cuts and 25% price increases on the cost of steel which is used in absolutely every industry and product, should really be a recipe for stoking inflation.

Trump to announce 25% tariffs on steel

Along with teachers turning up to class with a sub-machine gun in their briefcase, yet another genius stroke from the US president.

No wonder Nigel thinks he's the greatest president since Roosevelt.

Last edited by BlasterBates; 1 March 2018, 12:43.
    I'm alright Jack

The Chinese have been selling steel at a loss with massive state loans for years now.

Comment

Obviously that justifies the US imposing tariffs on all countries, especially since almost 0.5% of all steel imports come from China. It wouldn't have been sensible to target China directly as US steel manufacturers can't compete successfully against any countries, particularly since most of their imported steel comes from Canada and South America.

Good move. The age of fire and fury.

Last edited by BlasterBates; 1 March 2018, 14:04.
      I'm alright Jack

Comment

That's wacked the DOW, 1000 points after Trump announced the tariffs.

I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
          That's wacked the DOW, 1000 points after Trump announced the tariffs.

Yep, majorly stupid move.

The world needs a trade war like a hole in the head.

I don't believe he's actually announced the policy yet, but if he does go ahead with an across-the-board-tariff, UK steel won't be looking too clever.

Comment

We've had a trade war before over tariffs on steel and it ended badly for the US when the WTO ruled against them in 2002 with painful fines.

"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
              Yep, majorly stupid move.

The world needs a trade war like a hole in the head.

I don't believe he's actually announced the policy yet...
              He'll reverse the decision, then claim how clever he was to reverse it.

A bit like he is doing with the gun laws. In Feb 2017 he repealed an Obama law which was to make it more difficult for people with mental illnesses to get guns. Yesterday he announced that he was bringing in a law to make it more difficult for people with mental illnesses to get guns. To his supporters, repealing an Obama law is the best thing ever. To his supporters, announcing a new ruling shows his strength of character, something that Obama never did.
              …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Did it occur to anyone here that he's trying to slowly take the hot-air out of the stock-market?

Only suggested tariffs so far.

Comment

Originally posted by TwoWolves View Post
                  Did it occur to anyone here that he's trying to slowly take the hot-air out of the stock-market?

Trump does things that he thinks will make Trump look good or help Trump businesses. Nothing more, nothing less.
                  …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                    Trump does things that he thinks will make Trump look good or help Trump businesses. Nothing more, nothing less.
                    I think that's exactly what he's doing, bringing it down slowly rather than a crash. I'm trying to analyse his behaviour rather than take sides. I suspect he's currently meddling in Iran too.

He's not my president. I'm British.

Comment

Working...
                    X