• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

20,000 square foot mansion and seven acres for sale in Gloucestershire for £500K

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

20,000 square foot mansion and seven acres for sale in Gloucestershire for £500K

Crikey, if I had the money spare I'd certainly bid for it (although £500K is only the reserve price).

2018-03-07 Twenty-bedroom country mansion where Charles De Gaulle trained Free French soldiers ahead of D-Day landings is set to sell for £500,000

Probably needs a fair bit of work, but I'd just leave all that, unless water was literally pouring through the roof.

Even if the main house was practically uninhabitable (which doesn't look the case) there's loads one could do with all those outbuildings.

You could forget getting a mortgage though, because houses with annexes or adjoined dwellings are practically unmortgageable
    Last edited by OwlHoot; 7 March 2018, 14:47.
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    Crikey, if I had the money spare I'd certainly bid for it (although £500K is only the reserve price).

2018-03-07 Twenty-bedroom country mansion where Charles De Gaulle trained Free French soldiers ahead of D-Day landings is set to sell for £500,000

Probably needs a fair bit of work, but I'd just leave all that, unless water was literally pouring through the roof.

Even if the main house was practically uninhabitable (which doesn't look the case) there's loads one could do with all those outbuildings.

You could forget getting a mortgage though, because houses with annexes or adjoined dwellings are practically unmortgageable
    You might want to reconsider that appraisal.

https://historicengland.org.uk/advic...st-entry/46931

Mid C16 country house with late C17 and early C19 alterations. The building is largely unoccupied and has been neglected for many years with significant areas open to the elements. Urgent works are required in order to prevent further deterioration.
    Rough translation, it's falling apart.
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Ribbesford House in Bewdley, Worcestershire.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
        ... and it's Grade 2 listed, so doing anything to it is going to be difficult/expensive.
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
          You might want to reconsider that appraisal.

https://historicengland.org.uk/advic...st-entry/46931

Hmm, sounds like the ideal buyer would be someone who was a handy carpenter

Set up a workshop in one of the outbuildings, and start churning out a shed load of window frames and windows

or someone like this guy, Dick Strawbridge :

Escape to the Chateau
          Last edited by OwlHoot; 7 March 2018, 15:24.

Comment

Next year's news, oops it caught fire during refurbishment
            "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
              Next year's news, oops it caught fire during refurbishment
              Very true, and shortly followed by a planning application for a housing estate

Comment

Too much aggro owning a pile like that. Spend my whole life worrying about it or working on it - no chance.
                ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

I remember a programme on the BBC about a group who clubbed together and bought a stately home in Scotland. It was rather painful watching them spend all day in a corner of one of the hundreds of huge rooms fixing holes and replastering, and then all huddling around a gas fire in the kitchen, after several months hard work and no visible progress it became clear that their project had turned into a nightmare. Do you spend all day trying to renovate one of the pillars in the court yard or weed a small corner of the 15 hectare garden.

I'm alright Jack

Comment

That'll be bought as a wedding venue, done up and then charge 10k per wedding.
                    What happens in General, stays in General.
                    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Working...
                    X