• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BOQ Prelims

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BOQ Prelims

Hello guys.

I run a small carpentry contracting business and recently got invited to tender for project consisting of 24 residential units.

Looking through bill of quantities the last item is "prelims". Could you help me understand what should be included in this? Preparation of method statements and other paperwork? Will main contractor expect me to carry out works like temporary door installation etc. for my given price?

Thanks.

Hi Carp,

This isn’t a construction contractor’s forum, it’s an IT contractor’s forum.

But someone here might be able to answer your question.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by Carp View Post
      Looking through bill of quantities the last item is "prelims". Could you help me understand what should be included in this?
      A quick google for bills of quantities brought me to this definition and list of items that may be included in the preliminaries section.

Hope this helps.

Comment

As Cojak said, this is primarily an IT contractors forum although we have a few stragglers from the trades as well.

Anyone seen HaloJones recently?

Anyway, a quick google found this

https://www.designingbuildings.co.uk...n_construction

And from that I'm guessing prelims are costs for anything that aren't part of the contract delivery itself but which are required in order to carry out the work. So site preparation, surreys etc.

NBS suggest that 'the purpose of preliminaries is to describe the works as a whole, and to specify general conditions and requirements for their execution, including such things as subcontracting, approvals, testing and completion.' Preliminaries and work sections together describe what is required to complete the works required by the contract.
        "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Hi there, yes Prelims are those items not directly connected to the quantity of work provided.

For example, site cabins, generator, fencing etc. Also overheads like the project manager and office support such as the buyers, planners etc.

Many smaller companies include all these preliminary items simply by adding a factor onto their base costs, but a Prelims section in the BOQ enables you to break things out separately if you wish to do so, or if the client wishes to see it. You don't have to price preliminaries if your costs are included elsewhere - just say "included elsewhere".

Comment

Your prelims should cover everything from the admin involved in mobilising (RAMS etc) to the actual site-set up. Site office/cabin delivery and erection, welfare facilities, power and data.

It's probably easier for you to make an itemised list of everything that you need to do to be in a position to work on the first day, then put a price next to each task.

Comment

Working...
            X