• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

An ABBA Tribute Band and an Accommodation Dilemma

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

An ABBA Tribute Band and an Accommodation Dilemma

Just a bit of background. I'm currently on contract in sunny Burslem so consequently I am doing the Monday to Friday stopover routine.

Normally I get a room on Airbnb but next week I have a frjend coming up as we're off to see this ABBA tribute act that seems to be taking the nation by strom so I thought I'd push the boat out and get a hotel for the week.
    This poses a few questions regarding what's admissible in terms of expenses.

The simplest scenario is to book a room for 2 for the week. Could I expense this? I'm guessing probably not because my visitor is not coming to stay with me for businesss porpoises. Could I expense a proportion of it?

Perhaps it would be simpler to book a room for 1 Mon-Wed and make a separate booking for Thurs which is when she's coming. Since I'm doing this on Booking.com, this could lead to the situation where my Thursday night booking will be treated ad a completely separate booking and I have to up sticks and move to a different room which would be awks to say the least.

Simplest solution from my perspective would be to do the fully expensable booking for one and hope the hotel won't mind her spending the night with me - does that sound reasonable? I'm sure this isn't exactly an uncommon situation.

Hmmm... indeed an inneresting quandary for you to get your teeth into. Your thoughts would be appreciated.
    Last edited by Pip in a Poke; 19 March 2018, 10:52.

Originally posted by Pip in a Poke View Post
    Just a bit of background. I'm currently on contract in sunny Burslem so consequently I am doing the Monday to Friday stopover routine.

Normally I get a room on Airbnb but next week I have a frjend coming up as we're off to see this ABBA tribute act that seems to be taking the nation by strom so I thought I'd push the boat out and get a hotel for the week.

The simplest scenario is to book a room for 2 for the week. Could I expense this? I'm guessing probably not because my visitor is not coming to stay with me for businesss porpoises. Could I expense a proportion of it?

Perhaps it would be simpler to book a room for 1 Mon-Wed and make a separate booking for Thurs which is when she's coming. Since I'm doing this on Booking.com, this could lead to the situation where my Thursday night booking will be treated ad a completely separate booking and I have to up sticks and move to a different room which would be awks to say the least.

Simplest solution from my perspective would be to do the fully expensable booking for one and hope the hotel won't mind her spending the night with me - does that sound reasonable? I'm sure this isn't exactly an uncommon situation. Your thoughts would be appreciated.
    This post is worthless without pictures of your "friend".

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Hmmm... indeed an inneresting quandary for you to get your teeth into.
      Not, it really isn't. Though, credit where it's due, it is more interesting than people speculating on crypto or making out the Ruskies aren't the villains of the piece.

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post

I concur

Comment

Simplest solution from my perspective would be to do the fully expensable booking for one and hope the hotel won't mind her spending the night with me - does that sound reasonable? I'm sure this isn't exactly an uncommon situation.

Hmmm... indeed an inneresting quandary for you to get your teeth into. Your thoughts would be appreciated.
          Maybe if your 'friend' is paying your £50 for the opportunity to burst your arse then maybe you can claim it all as business?

Comment

Call the hotel. Ask them to improve on booking.com rates & provide 2 different invoices.

Do that anyway, but book a twin and don't put too much thought to it. Often doubles are not available & only twins are available.

I don't worry too much about reporting intricate room details to HMRC when hookers stay over. Or rather "translators" if my expense reports are to be believed.
            Last edited by clearedforlanding; 19 March 2018, 14:32.

Comment

Make her a director of your company and expense the lot.
              …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by wparkar View Post

I concur

Comment

It's all Money, Money, Money with you lot.
                  ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

I once watched a German video on that subject
                    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Working...
                    X