• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BBC ‘forced’ star names to set up firms to avoid tax

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BBC ‘forced’ star names to set up firms to avoid tax

https://inews.co.uk/news/leaked-lett...tax-mp-claims/

OK controversial statement time, the BBC forcing people to set up PSC, is not the same as forcing them to avoid tax, wouldn't it still be up to the individual to declare themselves outside or not? All the BBC has to do is state that it's the individual responsibility to pay their own tax, if in doubt seek professional advice from an accountant.

HMRC must be rubbing their hands with glee as the more this carries on the more evidence they will have of the new IR35 provision moving the determination to the engager rather than the individual.
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post

OK controversial statement time, the BBC forcing people to set up PSC, is not the same as forcing them to avoid tax, wouldn't it still be up to the individual to declare themselves outside or not? All the BBC has to do is state that it's the individual responsibility to pay their own tax, if in doubt seek professional advice from an accountant.

HMRC must be rubbing their hands with glee as the more this carries on the more evidence they will have of the new IR35 provision moving the determination to the engager rather than the individual.
    Let's wait until we start to see exactly what the emails from the BBC say. Given that the BBC has stated that it is happy to pay some of the bills I suspect there are a few from BBC employees talking about how much more money people will get from using a limited company.

Comment

If BBC are planning to partially foot the bill it's obvious when the PSC route was suggested they stipulated lower tax as a benefit for the arrangement.

Comment

https://www.contractoruk.com/news/00...resenters.html

BBC ‘considers paying IR35 bills of presenters’

Comment

Could it be the BBC forced them to do this so that they, the BBC, would avoid paying tax (NI)?
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

What is a PSC? And why didn't they have a brolly option?
            "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
              Could it be the BBC forced them to do this so that they, the BBC, would avoid paying tax (NI)?
              NI would have been saved, as well as other costs related to benefits, that's not in question, the BBC forced them to go down the PSC route, but did they force them to declare themselves outside for IR35?
              Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
              I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                And other employment costs such as final salary pensions...

Comment

NI would have been saved, as well as other costs related to benefits, that's not in question, the BBC forced them to go down the PSC route, but did they force them to declare themselves outside for IR35?
                  Equally it seems some people were previously self-employed and some were employees.

As with all these things the devil will be in the detail here...

Comment

Originally posted by Jog On View Post
                    What is a PSC? And why didn't they have a brolly option?
                    Since most talent go through agents (I think) do they have direct contracts with the BBC, or does their agent?
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                    X