• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Sauce for goose and gander

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sauce for goose and gander

Presenters' stress over BBC 'tax pressure' - BBC News

So, if you are a "face" on the TV, you get a Parliamentary hearing, sympathy from MPs and a public body to pay some of your tax.

If you are an anonymous back room grunt in a bank in the same circumstances, the MP's don't want to know, HMRC are allowed to bully you into ill health and nobody is going to help you.

Bit of balance missing here I think?
    Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Originally posted by webberg View Post

So, if you are a "face" on the TV, you get a Parliamentary hearing, sympathy from MPs and a public body to pay some of your tax.

If you are an anonymous back room grunt in a bank in the same circumstances, the MP's don't want to know, HMRC are allowed to bully you into ill health and nobody is going to help you.

Which committee is holding the hearing?

This is about the behaviour of the BBC not the behaviour of HMRC..

Comment

Originally posted by madame SasGuru View Post
      Which committee is holding the hearing?

This is about the behaviour of the BBC not the behaviour of HMRC..
      Department of Media Culture and Sport I think.

Correct, it's about the way the BBC "forced" talent into PSCs and contracting.

I see little difference to people told by Mega Bank that only as a contractor will they be accepted for engagement.

The blame could equally be laid at the feet of:

individuals
      end clients
      promoters
      advisers

And let's not forget HMRC either.

If there is noise and action, then conflating the issues to get heard is perfectly acceptable.
      Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

The BBC is a public sector organisation. If a public sector organisation is being seen to openly break the rules then another part of the public sector will police them, as the public sector are suppose to have a higher standard than and set it for the rest of society.

Oh and the people who have been handed bills by HMRC will have to prove that the BBC forced them to work under a limited company - I suspect some of them can't so won't get any part of their tax bill paid by the BBC.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Department of Media Culture and Sport I think.

Correct, it's about the way the BBC "forced" talent into PSCs and contracting.

I see little difference to people told by Mega Bank that only as a contractor will they be accepted for engagement.

The blame could equally be laid at the feet of:

individuals
          end clients
          promoters
          advisers

And let's not forget HMRC either.

If there is noise and action, then conflating the issues to get heard is perfectly acceptable.
          The piece I read included comments about gender pay inequality which is all the rage at the moment. Along the lines of "I was forced into a PSC on worse terms than my male counterparts". This I think is the angle for the story rather than contracting per se.

Comment

Working...
          X