• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

#deletefacebook

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

#deletefacebook

Anyone?

After reports of Cambridge Analytica using Facebook's user information came to light, people across social media have begun to urge others to either #DeleteFacebook or #BoycottFacebook in response.

One surprising voice has joined this movement - WhatsApp co-founder Brian Acton.
    I won't be deleting my account but have refrained from useful idioting on FB for a while now. I'm sure the CIA and GCHQ are all over posts on here so probably fooked anyway if they start rounding people up in the middle of the night to send to re-education camps...
    "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Originally posted by Jog On View Post
    Anyone?

I won't be deleting my account but have refrained from useful idioting on FB for a while now. I'm sure the CIA and GCHQ are all over posts on here so probably fooked anyway if they start rounding people up in the middle of the night to send to re-education camps...
    Haven't used the f**ing thing for ten years, and only back then for a short while because I had to develop and test a "like us on Facebook" web link

Same goes for Twatter.
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

What OwlHoot said...

Comment

Is it actually possible to delete a facebook account?

I thought their T&Cs made it so you signed over all rights to them for ownership of anything you put on your account, so you don't have a right to remove your data anymore and therefore no such thing as deleting an account. You can probably close it but the data is still there for them to do with as they please.

Not logged into mine for ages and only set it up to keep in contact with some distant relatives I only saw about once a year. Still get pestered with emails from facebook about people changing their status and all sorts of other crap. Keep meaning to remove those attention seeking twats from my list, even if they are family. If I want to know what they had for dinner I'd be having dinner with them.

About time facebook reached end of life and let all the social media addicts move onto 'the next big thing' like snapchat or whatever the kids are glued to on their phones.

So yes I support deleting all of facebook, it can FOAD for me.
        Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
          Haven't used the f**ing thing for ten years, and only back then for a short while because I had to develop and test a "like us on Facebook" web link

Same goes for Twatter.
          Find twitter useful and worth a read, quite often new software features etc come up. Some companies answer complaints faster if you tweet em and hash tag the company name.

Facebook really only used for messenger.

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
            Is it actually possible to delete a facebook account?
            Surprisingly (or not) the FB API makes is very difficult to delete lots of posts - some guy wrote and extension for chrome that deletes them one by one but said it takes a very long time.

Comment

Originally posted by radish2008 View Post
              Surprisingly (or not) the FB API makes is very difficult to delete lots of posts - some guy wrote and extension for chrome that deletes them one by one but said it takes a very long time.

I'm sure there's an easier way such as a 'close my account and delete all data' option somewhere.
              Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

I'm sure there's an easier way such as a 'close my account and delete all data' option somewhere.
                I think that involves "being dead" so best of luck selling that as a solution...
                His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by radish2008 View Post
                  It would be better if it edited every post to say, 'Zuckerberg takes it up the stinker. Long live the Grand High Guinea Pig!'

Comment

There is and data privacy laws don’t permit Facebook to keep your personal data if you delete your account. Whether or not you believe they do delete it is up to you but in light of GDPR they may not want to risk it.

I’ve finally decided to close my account. There is no alternative to Facebook as a whole but there are alternatives for sharing photos with my family and messaging. That’s all I really use it for. I’ve already got a link to download my archive of data and will be deleting it soon.

Comment

Working...
                    X