• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Isn't renting a good deal now?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Isn't renting a good deal now?

Was just browsing the renting rates for London flats after quite a long time. I am actually amazed of how many good deals you can get, way cheaper than 2-3 years ago. Does this mean that the prices are doomed to go down? Was AtW right for the first time in his life?
    I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Originally posted by Francko
    Was just browsing the renting rates for London flats after quite a long time. I am actually amazed of how many good deals you can get, way cheaper than 2-3 years ago. Does this mean that the prices are doomed to go down? Was AtW right for the first time in his life?
    After a period of renting (for reasons other than the property market) I am now going to buy (also for reasons other than the property market). Prices are bound to plummet in a little while.

Comment

With interest rates on the rise, the differential is only going to get wider.

Comment

No, and no.
        HTH
        Boom boom boom boom
        A-haw haw haw haw
        Hmmm hmmm hmmm hmmm
        Hmmm hmmm hmmm hmmm

Comment

Originally posted by wonderwaif
          No, and no.
          HTH
          So there will be expensive houses and cheap rents? Is this sustainable in the long term? Or rents are doomed to go up?
          I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

doesn't it depend on the elasticity of house price demand...
            --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SA - Is it like a dragons nostril?

Comment

So there will be expensive houses and cheap rents? Is this sustainable in the long term? Or rents are doomed to go up?
              On the face of it, if it is cheaper to rent then people should leave the buying market and enter the renting market, so pushing rents up until a balance is reached. This might not happen if house prices continue to rise, or are perceived to be lilely to: then, people will buy houses rather than rent, even if it is cheaper to rent.

This will make house prices rise even more, thus persuading even more people to buy rather than rent, thus pushing up house prices......

Comment

Well in the US right now its House prices down and rents up.

You have been warned... doomed i tell ya....

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/m.../07/do0702.xml

Comment

The expected fall in house prices is not going to happen next year, at least in London, as a high proportion of record City bonuses (14 billion?) will be shoved into the housing market. Will that cause a glut of flats to rent? Who knows. Who cares.

There's nowt more boring than the housing market at the moment.

HTH
                  Hard Brexit now!
                  #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru
                    There's nowt more boring than the housing market at the moment.

HTH
                    Except for perhaps the rental market.............and AtW!
                    “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Working...
                    X