• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

business trip abroad - staying over the weekend makes it cheaper

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

business trip abroad - staying over the weekend makes it cheaper

I need to fly to the US next month to visit a client's site there. An economy class flight costs roughly £1400 flying out on the Sunday and back on the Friday.

I would like to visit a friend which means an additional return flight within the US. Because I would be staying over a Saturday night the total flight cost is actually less, more like £1000.

I think the client would be quite happy for me to bill him £1000 simply because it's less than £1400. But what will HMRC say? Let's say the transatlantic portion is £700 and the US portion is £300 - will HMRC see that £300 as an invalid business expense?

And the airline often offers last minute upgrades to business class if they haven't sold all the seats. I know the client wouldn't pay for the upgrade but I assume I can still claim it as a valid expense as seen by HMRC?

https://www.crunch.co.uk/knowledge/t...ces-explained/
    Last edited by northernladuk; 26 March 2018, 20:28.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Or try this better advice
      Last edited by Contractor UK; 13 May 2018, 16:41.

Comment

IMO document both prices (screenshots etc) to show that staying the extra day was actually cheaper, then claim away

Comment

It's a nice theory, but isn't relevant for tax law - unless you get a reasonable inspector.

The question is, was the expenses incurred wholly and exclusively for the purposes of the trade. The minute you start adding in personal trips and costs then it fails this test.

A strict inspector will refuse all costs. A reasonable one will say 'well it was cheaper than the other option, less tax relief claimed' and allow it.

Up to you if the take the chance!

Bear in mind if you get the bad inspector, he will also look to either charge the flight on you personally as a BIK or move the cost to your loan account as well as denying the company tax relief.

Comment

Originally posted by pr1 View Post
            IMO document both prices (screenshots etc) to show that staying the extra day was actually cheaper, then claim away
            Price has nothing to do with the letter of the law. Stupid I know but this is HMRC we are talking about.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              Price has nothing to do with the letter of the law. Stupid I know but this is HMRC we are talking about.
              Using the same logic I buy a weekly travel card because it's cheaper than 5x daily travel cards, should I be treating it as a BIK because I can get the train on Saturdays?

I'd be happy to defend it if I could prove it was cheaper than the alternative

Comment

Originally posted by pr1 View Post
                Using the same logic I buy a weekly travel card because it's cheaper than 5x daily travel cards, should I be treating it as a BIK because I can get the train on Saturdays?
                But that's not the same situation really. There maybe more common sense flexibility around multiple purchases. It can be claimed if the main purpose is for business and not for significant private use. The flight is different.
                Last edited by northernladuk; 27 March 2018, 08:49.

Comment

Originally posted by craigy1874 View Post
                  The question is, was the expenses incurred wholly and exclusively for the purposes of the trade. The minute you start adding in personal trips and costs then it fails this test.
                  That is one logical conclusion, but I'd suggest provided it's fairly clear that the business reason is genuine and significant, and the holiday element is a trivial bolt on, you should be fine. For clarity I still think any costs directly relating to the holiday part (eg accommodation/subsistence for those days) couldn't be claimed.

Inevitably it can be a bit of a grey area, and some people will push things. Comes down to whether you'd be happy arguing:
                  - you genuinely went for business reasons, but thought whilst you were there no harm in enjoying the sites in a day off. Vs
                  - you wanted a holiday to that location, waited until there was some vaguely related conference nearby that you wouldn't otherwise bother attending, but saw it as a way to blag the holiday.

It's not too different to many other things. Buy a laptop cos you need it for work, but occasionally send a personal email = fine. Buy a games machine that you occasionally send a work email from = not fine. Some people may decide they're happy trying to blag the latter, I wouldn't recommend it.

Comment

The rather obvious solution seems to me to be to claim the GBP 700 and not the GBP 300. Client will be happy because he gets billed for 700 versus 1400 and Hector is happy because you aren't abusing a situation for personal gain. Logical, no?
                    Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
                    Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Working...
                    X