• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Rsi

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rsi

Hi found out I have rs I which is in my left hand which I use for my keyboard. My question does the mouse in my right hand have an effect on my left hand or is it just the keyboard causing the problems.

PC had a similar problem - he sat on a badly cushioned office chair and his elbow went numb. Still, he got 6 months on the sick for it which paid for Florida.

Comment

If you rest your hand(s) on a hard surface then maybe you're bruising the wrist/arm (?!) bone lump that sticks out on your wrist.

Maybe you just need one of those squidgy wrist supports. But if you already use them, I don't know what to suggest.
      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Sorry

Originally posted by Larrydd View Post
        Hi found out I have rs I which is in my left hand which I use for my keyboard. My question does the mouse in my right hand have an effect on my left hand or is it just the keyboard causing the problems.
        Sorry should have read i have rsi

Comment

Well you've obviously come to the right place for a professional occupational therapist opinion.

Comment

Well, if you put your right hand in hot water, does your left hand feel warm??

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
              Well you've obviously come to the right place for a professional occupational therapist opinion.
              Agreed.

I find if you get someone to whack the other hand hard with a whip the pain feels better in the RSI hand.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Switch hands and spank the mouse with your left hand for awhile and see if that makes any difference.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

On a serious note you need to get someone qualified to look at your desk set up plus keyboard, mouse and monitor asap. Then see a physio, and make sure you take regular breaks away from your desk.

Yes you may have to pay for the assessment unless your client does one, and you definitely have to pay for the physio but they are business expenses. All of it including the breaks fall under Health and Safety Regulations.

People here can recommend things unless they can see you so they can see what is actually wrong with the way you are set up it may not help and in fact could make things worse.

If you are lucky you may have a client who will do the VDU assessment for you. Some do an online thing and will send someone round if you indicate you have problems. If they see you have issues they can give you bits of equipment to try out so you know what works for you in other places. (The only clients I've had not do VDU assessments of some sort are small companies as they are clearly unaware of the compensation claims that have arisen.)

You are suppose to take a break of about 10 minutes every hour away from the screen. The breaks don't actually have to be away from your desk they should be doing non-DU work but clearly if RSI is crippling you then it should be. Breaks consist of going to get a drink, talking to someone, going to the toilet etc.

I did meet a couple of guys crippled by RSI when I was starting out and their employer had to make reasonable adjustments for them as they were disabled. I also knew of typists who had sued large employers and got compensated as they could no longer work. This is why you need to put things in action today.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by PhiltheGreek View Post
                    PC had a similar problem - he sat on a badly cushioned office chair and his elbow went numb. Still, he got 6 months on the sick for it which paid for Florida.
                    No you got that wrong. It was caused by excessive masturbation.

And the JSA paid for Florida....
                    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X