• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contracting through UK Ltd resident in Spain

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contracting through UK Ltd resident in Spain

Hi

I have been running my UK Ltd for a few years now. Due to family reasons I am thinking to move to Spain with my wife and start commuting to UK on a weekly basis. I would very likely spend less than 183 days in UK and my residence would be in Spain anyway as far as I understand because my wife and daughter would be resident there.

Is someone able to tell me what sort of implications this would have for my UK Ltd wrt taxes as well as how I would draw salary and dividends from it? What would the best legal setup be?

Thanks
    Walter

Same Here

I'm looking at this as well for a number of reasons. In fact was viewing properties over Easter. There are excellent links in the Murcia region and will be 3 airports by the end of this year giving easy access to London.

Comment

You’d be tax resident in both countries

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
        You’d be tax resident in both countries
        Are you able to elaborate a bit more? Would I pay corporation tax in UK and salary/dividends tax in Spain or how would this work ?

Comment

Originally posted by zafoeta View Post
          Are you able to elaborate a bit more? Would I pay corporation tax in UK and salary/dividends tax in Spain or how would this work ?
          Read the UK/Spain dual tax treaty. It is pretty easy to understand and covers both corporate and personal taxation. (Caveat - I haven't looked at the Spanish one, but I have looked at Oman, UAE, Australia and Portugal ones recently and they have much in common, I can't imagine the Spanish one being much different).
          Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
          Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

There are posts in this forum if you search using google explaining the difference between the "economic employer" and "employer of record" models. There is also this Q&A linky

To put it bluntly there is no 183 rule which gives you the right to pay tax where you like. If you live in two countries then you pay tax in both subject to the dual tax agreements each country has with each other.

While you may argue that you only work in the UK - due to being a British citizen, having lived here for most of your life and still working here then HMRC regard you as still living here. On the other hand due to your wife and child living in Spain, not being divorced and you visiting them on a very regularly basis then the Spain tax authorities regard you as living in Spain.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
              There are posts in this forum if you search using google explaining the difference between the "economic employer" and "employer of record" models. There is also this Q&A linky

To put it bluntly there is no 183 rule which gives you the right to pay tax where you like. If you live in two countries then you pay tax in both subject to the dual tax agreements each country has with each other.

While you may argue that you only work in the UK - due to being a British citizen, having lived here for most of your life and still working here then HMRC regard you as still living here. On the other hand due to your wife and child living in Spain, not being divorced and you visiting them on a very regularly basis then the Spain tax authorities regard you as living in Spain.
              Exactly. And it isn't so hard to get your head round it if you download and read the DTA. You do not pay tax on the same income twice (as a general rule).

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

Thanks for the QA link. Given this is all new to me I obviously don't find it all that simple.

From the link:
                "The 183-day rule does not apply in situations where a one-person limited company is the employer. As soon as the director of the company moves, the permanent establishment of the company moves with him."

So my understanding is that my main residence would be in Spain because my wife and daughter will be living there hence my main ties will be there. Wouldn't this mean then that all taxes (cotporation and personal) would then have to be paid in Spain? Would it still make sense in any way to keep the UK Ltd in that case?

Comment

Thanks for the QA link. Given this is all new to me I obviously don't find it all that simple.

From the link:
                  "The 183-day rule does not apply in situations where a one-person limited company is the employer. As soon as the director of the company moves, the permanent establishment of the company moves with him."

So my understanding is that my main residence would be in Spain because my wife and daughter will be living there hence my main ties will be there. Wouldn't this mean then that all taxes (cotporation and personal) would then have to be paid in Spain? Would it still make sense in any way to keep the UK Ltd in that case?
                  If you are working through UK agencies in the UK then you will find some won't work with you if you use a company not incorporated and having a registered address in one of the UK jurisdictions.

How you go about sorting out your corporation tax is something I've not researched.

Some countries require you to have one or more directors in the other country which indicates that the company isn't resident for tax purposes even though you, as an individual, are. So if your parents are still alive or there is/are other relation(s) where there is a good level of trust between you, it may be simpler to make them director(s) as well and use your UK accountants address as the registered office. Also just because someone is a director they don't have to be a shareholder or on the payroll though they should be compensated for any business expenses.

Banks can also be funny which is why you may need a UK address. Again this is something you will need to look into.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

From the link:

This is covered in the UK/Spain dual tax treaty.

Comment

Working...
                    X