• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The evil of religion

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The evil of religion

http://www.cnn.com/2006/LAW/12/07/ki....ap/index.html

http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/meast/...2.6/index.html

When will these religious loons grow up?
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

I saw the film The Magdelene Sisters' on television last week. I was shocked and horrified about how devout Catholic parents, during the 50s were prepared to force their daughters into these hideously cruel Nun run 'laundry houses' to work as slaves for no pay, be subject to humiliations, sexual abuse, corporal punishment for breaking endless trivial rules, no fun, awful food, stark horrid dormitories, no entertainment at all, no talking or making friends, nothing to do except work, pray and listen to endless bible passages etc. Often these young girls did not know if or when they were able to be released either.

What was so awful about the religious crimes they'd committed?

Flirting with boys (without actually having sex)
    Getting raped
    Having a baby out of wedlock
    Being mentally disturbed

I couldn't believe it. At least Myra Hindley had been tried, convicted, knew here release date (never) and had actually committed crimes deserved of incarceration. Plus she got prisoners rights, edible food, access to permitted privileges and so on.

To punish a 15 year old girl for being 'too pretty' worse than an evil, perverted female sex attacker and murdress was more than my stomach could stand.

Worse to come. None of these women, who did manage to excape or being fetched by parents or siblings and who didn't become institutionalised zombies or kill themselves in these laundry houses, were ever entitled to compensation for loss of human rights or mental, sexual and physical abuse. Apparently, in law, they were deemed to be housed there voluntarily rather than forcibly kidnapped or imprisoned.

This was far from the case. Unless a family member got them out (and some were orphans so that was unlikely) they were not free to leave. They were locked up and often caught and abused physically if they tried to escape.

Hardly voluntary. Hardly civilised, Hardly religious.

By the way, the last Laundry Asylum, as they were called, closed in.........
    1996. Can you believe that???

Comment

I missed that but no evil these religious loons will do in the name of their religion will ever surprise me. Why do you think it is that the kindest, most thoughtful and intelligent people are atheists?
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by Denny
        I saw the film The Magdelene Sisters' on television last week. I was shocked and horrified about how devout Catholic parents, during the 50s were prepared to force their daughters into these hideously cruel Nun run 'laundry houses' to work as slaves for no pay, be subject to humiliations, sexual abuse, corporal punishment for breaking endless trivial rules, no fun, awful food, stark horrid dormitories, no entertainment at all, no talking or making friends, nothing to do except work, pray and listen to endless bible passages etc. Often these young girls did not know if or when they were able to be released either.
        Was it by any chance filmed at your house to save money on building a realistic set and hiring actors?
        Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

I thought someone would have mentioned chico by now...

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent
            Was it by any chance filmed at your house to save money on building a realistic set and hiring actors?
            On your knees and pray, boy.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru
              I missed that but no evil these religious loons will do in the name of their religion will ever surprise me. Why do you think it is that the kindest, most thoughtful and intelligent people are atheists?
              I'm inclined to agree. Religion (god) is used as a convenient scapegoat that allows inadequate people to commit all manner of evil with false promises of eternal life.

I used to go to church at one time, mainly to help overcome a trauma that had happened in my life and to seek fellowship. I was brought up to believe in god even though my parents weren't church goers, so joining a church was not a major leap for me. I also had churchgoing friends, although these tended to be traditional Anglican church attenders.

It was one of those born again, happy clappy, evangelical churches. Although, nothing really terrible went on there, as described above, I experienced betrayal of trust, disloyalty, I saw overt displays of snobbery, self interest masquerading as fellowship, leadership control freakery and so on. I particularly disliked the practice called 'shepherding' whereby housegroup leaders would phone you and enquire why you didn't attend church or housegroups and so on and tell you off when they next saw you or else shun and ignore you until you started attending again.

I also went up to be 'healed' at a healing service and the elder who laid hands on me and prayed over me actually physically pushed me as a prompt to get me to fall down as if I had been struck by the holy spirit and healed. It was completely phoney and I just stood there unmoved, rather than following others lined up to do the same, who just collapsed on the floor in hysterics and started babbling in tongues. If I didn't react to this nonsense I saw no reason why anyone else should either. There was never any evidence of real miracle healings - people jumping out of wheelchairs or cancers being miraculously cured. Most healings involved unproveable ailments that could be healed by normal medical means. I never saw any evidence of longstanding healing that had any lasting effect either, minor or otherwise.

I always felt I was being constantly judged too. In the end I left completely and never went back because I felt I was being treated like a naughty child who needed constant supervision. They were always trying to prize money out of people too and this was not possible for me as I didn't have that much at the time. Favouritism was rife - those who paid most or better still tithed a tenth of their income, were respected and favoured overtly over those who couldn't.

True there were some decent people there, but the overall experience was not that positive, looking back on it. Never again.
              Last edited by Denny; 7 December 2006, 23:51.

Comment

I'm inclined to agree. Religion (god) is used as a convenient scapegoat that allows inadequate people to commit all manner of evil with false promises of eternal life.

I used to go to church at one time, mainly to help overcome a trauma that had happened in my life and to seek fellowship. I was brought up to believe in god even though my parents weren't church goers, so joining a church was not a major leap for me. I also had churchgoing friends, although these tended to be traditional Anglican church attenders.

It was one of those born again, happy clappy, evangelical churches. Although, nothing really terrible went on there, as described above, I experienced betrayal of trust, disloyalty, I saw overt displays of snobbery, self interest masquerading as fellowship, leadership control freakery and so on. I particularly disliked the practice called 'shepherding' whereby housegroup leaders would phone you and enquire why you didn't attend church or housegroups and so on and tell you off when they next saw you or else shun and ignore you until you started attending again.

I also went up to be 'healed' at a healing service and the elder who laid hands on me and prayed over me actually physically pushed me as a prompt to get me to fall down as if I had been struck by the holy spirit and healed. It was completely phoney and I just stood there unmoved, rather than following others lined up to do the same, who just collapsed on the floor in hysterics and started babbling in tongues. If I didn't react to this nonsense I saw no reason why anyone else should either. There was never any evidence of real miracle healings - people jumping out of wheelchairs or cancers being miraculously cured. Most healings involved unproveable ailments that could be healed by normal medical means. I never saw any evidence of longstanding healing that had any lasting effect either, minor or otherwise.

I always felt I was being constantly judged too. In the end I left completely and never went back because I felt I was being treated like a naughty child who needed constant supervision. They were always trying to prize money out of people too and this was not possible for me as I didn't have that much at the time. Favouritism was rife - those who paid most or better still tithed a tenth of their income, were respected and favoured overtly over those who couldn't.

True there were some decent people there, but the overall experience was not that positive, looking back on it. Never again.
                Sorry to hear about your experiences with the cult (because that is what it is). At least you're out of it now - would that more of the brainwashed had your intelligence, integrity and strength of character. You're right, these people prey on the inadequate.
                Hard Brexit now!
                #prayfornodeal

Comment

Satan is alive and well. As Jesus said you can tell a tree by the fruit it produces. Good tree equals good fruit, bad tree equals bad tree. Satan has really hedged his bets - atheism got it covered, the apostate church - got it covered anything to make sure people do not get to know their Creator.

A true Bible based and Spirit filled church does not need to resort these silly tactics.
                  Sola gratia

Sola fide

Soli Deo gloria

Comment

Originally posted by Chico
                    Satan is alive and well. As Jesus said you can tell a tree by the fruit it produces. Good tree equals good fruit, bad tree equals bad tree. Satan has really hedged his bets - atheism got it covered, the apostate church - got it covered anything to make sure people do not get to know their Creator.

A true Bible based and Spirit filled church does not need to resort these silly tactics.
                    Begone Satan....
                    Hard Brexit now!
                    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
                    X