• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Jonathan Pie interviews a feminist

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jonathan Pie interviews a feminist

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7GWHgVZJQU

I wasn't sure what to expect when I watched this but came away quite impressed and have new respect for real genuine feminism that's focused on actual equality and not what the media/celebrities have been portaying. Well done Pie
    "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Originally posted by Jog On View Post

I wasn't sure what to expect when I watched this but came away quite impressed and have new respect for real genuine feminism that's focused on actual equality and not what the media/celebrities have been portaying. Well done Pie
    Yo'd be hard pushed to say there is a single type of feminism, any more than there is a single type of Christianity. I think Rebecca West sums it up best.

I myself have never been able to find out precisely what feminism is: I only know that people call me a feminist whenever I express sentiments that differentiate me from a doormat.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
      Yo'd be hard pushed to say there is a single type of feminism, any more than there is a single type of Christianity. I think Rebecca West sums it up best.
      She sounds a bit of moaner to be honest.

Comment

You just showed yourself, like the makers of the clip, as another person who doesn't understand the Equality Act, and before that the Sex Discrimination Act.

Under the Act equal pay covers "work of equal value" and complainants are allowed to use the fact that people doing a role they are using as a comparator are in the majority of one gender, and they are in the majority of a different gender. This is why those doing jobs such as care assistants and dinner ladies who are in the majority female in various local authority areas including Birmingham have won tribunals using the Act.

To put this in simple terms if 95 out of 100 testers in a company are female and 95 out of 100 BAs in that company are male. If one group were being paid much more than the other group, the group being paid less could put in an equal pay claim if they could argue their jobs were of equal value.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
          To put this in simple terms if 95 out of 100 testers in a company are female and 95 out of 100 BAs in that company are male. If one group were being paid much more than the other group, the group being paid less could put in an equal pay claim if they could argue their jobs were of equal value.
          No sensible person would disagree with that. To use you example, how would you qualify value between the groups? Feed the business analysts a good meal and they'll work better. The UK is decades away from that level of understanding in commercial/domestic circles like that achieved in Sweden, for example. The Tories would never allow it. And the apathetic voting public would not support a government who does. End of.

Was it not Karl Marx who once said - History repeats itself, first as tragedy, second as farce - that's the UK election process rinse and repeat.
          "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

JP "See now you sounded like a feminist"

Feminist "Prick" - "Fancy going for a drink after"

Both are trying not to fall into laughter. Nearly fell off my chair.
            Last edited by scooterscot; 9 April 2018, 13:04.
            "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

You just showed yourself, like the makers of the clip, as another person who doesn't understand the Equality Act, and before that the Sex Discrimination Act.

Under the Act equal pay covers "work of equal value" and complainants are allowed to use the fact that people doing a role they are using as a comparator are in the majority of one gender, and they are in the majority of a different gender. This is why those doing jobs such as care assistants and dinner ladies who are in the majority female in various local authority areas including Birmingham have won tribunals using the Act.

Eh? What are you on about? I get all of what you said which is just repeating what the woman in the video said. Point I was making was that this was a very refreshing view of the real issues as opposed to Janet Street Porters calling to ban grid girls.

There's just no pleasing some people...
              "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                No sensible person would disagree with that. To use you example, how would you qualify value between the groups? Feed the business analysts a good meal and they'll work better. The UK is decades away from that level of understanding in commercial/domestic circles like that achieved in Sweden, for example. The Tories would never allow it. And the apathetic voting public would not support a government who does. End of.

Was it not Karl Marx who once said - History repeats itself, first as tragedy, second as farce - that's the UK election process rinse and repeat.
                It's for the complainants to prove that their "work is of equal value" and for the employer to disapprove, which is why most of these cases have a large number of complainants.

The law has been around for a good while and the unions have in most cases scuppered people, normally women, from using it.

Comment

Eh? What are you on about? I get all of what you said which is just repeating what the woman in the video said. Point I was making was that this was a very refreshing view of the real issues as opposed to Janet Street Porters calling to ban grid girls.

There's just no pleasing some people...
                  The video didn't make that point. It brought up the current case of Tescos and told women to go work in the warehouse if they wanted to be paid more.

Btw Nearly the major UK supermarkets are facing such claims.

Comment

It's for the complainants to prove that their "work is of equal value" and for the employer to disapprove, which is why most of these cases have a large number of complainants.

The law has been around for a good while and the unions have in most cases scuppered people, normally women, from using it.
                    Agreed. Seems to me society / business is replete with examples of inequality. As a customer I'm charged 18% on a credit card whilst the bank helps itself to savers money and rewarding them with 0.1% APR. Meanwhile they sell PPI and it's for the complainants to argue the case of wrongful miss-selling.

Smoking drinking eating to excess burdening the NHS will all very preventable diseases that can be avoided through healthy lifestyle choices yet I have to pay more in tax towards the NHS because I earn more and look after myself so that I can keep in work - how is that fair? (sugar tax - about time).

Is the argument whether it is right or wrong or is it just business trying it on until caught? Probably a mixture of both.

Comment

Working...
                    X